Penn 180 upgrades

Started by Surfwrangler, December 22, 2013, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfwrangler

I have had a old 180 for quit some time that was given to me just as a sort of novelty. Well I am not much for noveltys so I decided to put it into use. It casts a bait rig out pretty good and I could easily bounce bucktails with it nearshore one day as well. I would like to beef it up a bit however as the drag washers have rotted. So take a look at my list of proposed upgrades and tell me if it looks like they will work out or if I have left anything out. Looking for 8-10lbs of drag from the little guy.
Tiburon frame for 146
New ht-100s
New gear sleeve 98-155AT
New main gear and pinion set 5/13-209lc should fit and get me up to a 3.2:1 GR
New aluminum spool 29-100l I think
And according to porthos I will likely need some more screws.
New at this so help me out!!!!

Tile

The first upgrade is to change the drag washers to HT-100 ones and Cal's grease on them.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Good advice from Tile.
Looks like you're going all the way, everything on that list will work. For 8lbs to 10lbs, you will be fine, if you wanted to increase it to a couple of pounds, get yourself the right side plate from a Surfmaster., it could be the 100, 150 or 200, it doesn't matter. This will also give you the option to change spools by turning one screw....just a thought.
If you're looking for stainless steel screws, here is where you could get them:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91794A126
Check for length, you will need two sizes, just get close to yours.
Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Surfwrangler

Ok we'll then I will hunt down the parts and order them shortly unless anyone has any other notes or troublesome issues they have encountered in the past!!! Speak up!! Great site by the way very helpful for someone new to reel mechanics!!!

Ron Jones

Sal can correct me, but I have looked at this really hard and I do not believe the 146 frame will fit the 180. The 180 has 2 screws that are speced the same as the Beachmasters. I have a 180 and would love to put a frame on it so I really am hoping that I am wrong.

As far as the gears are concerned, the few 180s I have seen, including mine, have steel main gears. The set you listed will have a brass main gear. It looks like you are planning on fishing this with 20 pound line or so and so that shouldn't be a big deal. Put if you try to amp up the drag the steel gear is nice.

For the drag range you are talking about, the brass gear sleeve is fine, especially with a brass main, but Alan's stainless gear sleeve is about the greatest invention the lord has ever allowed a human to come up with. The reel just feels so much better.

I don't have a 100 spool. I will get one someday to try before I invest in a aluminum one. The pinions are different but that doesn't mean it won't work and Mysticparts.com is sketchy on the whole deal.

I really like this little reel, I am not thrilled with the other reels in this size ability to swap spools, I've seen that fail and it was dangerous. This reel also is faster than the Surfmaster or Squidder and can still provide the drag needed for this sized spool.

Just m 2 cents. I hope you make a rocket of a reel and it does good by you.
Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Ron, doesn't the 180 have the same screw pattern as most smaller reels?, if it doesn't this is a new one on me :-\. I do not have a 180, but I do have  other reels that I converted to narrow by using the 30-49 and the 29-100 and yes you could use the P16 on those. I did a Monofil 25 and a 160. I do believe the 180 has the same pattern.
As for gears, the 5-60 are much stronger than the 5-155, but as you've mentioned, if surfwrangler is keeping it at 8lbs, he will do just fine. The 5-60 are 3.1:1, just like the 5-155.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

The 180 uses the same 2-155 side rings and the 37-180 posts that fit the 27, 100, 180, and others. So, you're good.

The original stand screws are shorter than the post screws on these reels (easy to confirm by looking) so if going with the P16 Tiburon, replace these with the long post ones.

And there is the 13-200 to consider for replacing the 13-155...since you didn't mention this above.

Ron Jones

My head hurts.
First, I mixed up the 66 and 60 gear ratio. I apologize.
Second, I have been told, by Alan Tani himself, that Japanese So Cal fisherman used to make 99 width 500s by swapping the right plate. That mad is known as an albacore special.
I am looking at a 99 on ebay and it has 3 screws in the stand. Someone on here posted a picture of the 99 stand with 3 screws showing that it is different than a 66 stand. So if the 99 stand has 3 screws and all the other small reels use 2 screws including the 180 then how do you make an albacore special?
I am off to drink myself to death.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

That's why we're here buddy, to help each other out. The bad will help us just as much as the good ;).
Don't drink too much ;D

Porthos

Put the booze down and step away from the workbench... ::)

Sleep it off and start fresh tomorrow.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: noyb72 on December 23, 2013, 01:08:42 AM
. So if the 99 stand has 3 screws and all the other small reels use 2 screws including the 180 then how do you make an albacore special?
I am off to drink myself to death.
Thanks
Ron

Alan is right. Just remove the quick release 99 side plate and fit the Jigmaster 500 side plate directly to the 99 frame. No other modifications required.

Surfwrangler

Ok so I think the only objection so far is potentially the spool fitting the tib 16 frame??? Porthos got his 27monofil to fit with the tib frame and spool right so is there a difference here i am not seeing?? Not sure, as we have gone off on a tangent here. My main gear and pinion are brass but if they will be fine under 10lbs of drag then I will just leave them.

Ron Jones

That is what I was missing. You only swap the outer plate. Thanks. Well then, I think your plan is perfect and I will be joining you! I love this little reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Surfwrangler

Is there a set of stainless main/pinion gears that will fit this reel??? You know just in case I decide to keep pushing it ;)

Surfwrangler

Ok guys so I got my parts in from Scott's today and the 98-155at sleeve looked perfect but it turns out that my bridge 3-155 has a narrow post so there is too much play in the sleeve. Penn parts says that my 180 should have the 3-185 bridge. So my question is how do I proceed from here? Is there Another SS sleeve that would fit my 3-155 bridge or should I get a different bridge???