Atlantic Ocean Lion Fish

Started by mrbrklyn, December 25, 2013, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogtagger

I was fishing on the Miss Hatteras a few years ago and a guy next to me reeled one in. That was the first time I had heard of them in the Atlantic. The mate saved it for the state fish and game. Sounds like quite a problem in the GOM and Caribbean.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

very informative and thankfully people are having a taste for it. thanks for sharing!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Thanks for pointing out the Lionfish problem.  I agree eat them.  We have a goose problem in an adjacent town.  There are Canadian Geese all over the place and they are messy.  They are fat and healthy.  Every time I look at them I say to myself, "if only people knew how good they taste the goose problem would be solved."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Are the Honkers really good to eat Dominick? I've heard they are really greasy. We have an abundance of them in my neck of the woods too. Christmas Honker for Dinner! :D
Life is Good!

saltydog

SSSHHHHHHHHH don't tell anyone I won't have any honkers left for dinner. Yes they are great table fare.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

x2 these geese are really good eating.

conchydong

We have tons of Lionfish on all of the reefs here in S. Florida. Every time we go Lobster diving, we spear a few of them. Most are on the smallish side but they have beautiful white meat. Just gotta be careful with the spines. We usually snip the spines off right away before the fish goes into the cooler.
Hopefully, some of the native species of fish will learn to prey on them. There has been some footage shot in the Bahamas of a Mutton Snapper eating a Lionfish, so maybe, just maybe, mother nature can find a cure on her own.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 27, 2013, 07:48:13 AM
Are the Honkers really good to eat Dominick? I've heard they are really greasy. We have an abundance of them in my neck of the woods too. Christmas Honker for Dinner! :D

Cook them low and slow and they degrease themselves.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

I hadn't realized how bad the lionfish problem had gotten.
Central Florida

broschro

every reef in north Florida is covered by them as well.we have dive tournament once or twice a year to clean the reefswith a cash prize for the most fish stuck.

floating doc

Quote from: broschro on December 28, 2013, 03:00:39 AM
every reef in north Florida is covered by them as well.we have dive tournament once or twice a year to clean the reefswith a cash prize for the most fish stuck.

Any of the reefs shallow enough for free diving?
Central Florida

Dominick

Quote from: floating doc on December 28, 2013, 03:59:36 AM
Quote from: broschro on December 28, 2013, 03:00:39 AM

Any of the reefs shallow enough for free diving?

Go to Google Earth and move your curser over the area and you can read the depth on the bottom of the map.  Dominick