Penn International 12VSX Lumpy drag

Started by shanara, December 29, 2013, 09:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanara

About 2 months ago I got my 12vsx back from Penn UK (they corrected the missing low speed gear problem)

Yesterday I spooled it with braid and set the drag at 10lbs at strike, I noticed when pulling off line against the drag it feels a bit lumpy,
I did not notice this previously(I may not have got that far)
Is this normal on an unused 12VSX, will the drag smooth out with use ?

Regards Gary

I just read my last post on this reel, I did get as far as setting the drag before it lost low gear- cant say that I noticed anything wrong with the drag a at that time. There was plenty of grease externaly in all the right places on the reel when it was returned from Penn would excessive grease on the carbon washer cause it to be lumpy.

Help !    

Irish Jigger

I'd be surprised if Penn (UK) would grease your drag plates and would think that a light coating of Cal's would make your drag a lot smoother.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

shanara

At just off free spool the drag is smooth (maybe 1lb of drag) as I increase drag I can feel that the amount of drag is not constant through one revolution (as I pull line off quickly there apears to be several areas of through each revolution of the spool where the drag is higher than other areas- giving a lumpy not smooth resistance)
Anyhow I have ordered some cals grease, I have also took the left hand side plate off the reel and had a look at the 2 carbon drag washers which appear to be dry with a bit of blue grease arround the edges.
I intend to throw caution to the wind and grease the sides of the washers that come into contact with the central metal drag plate (clearing off the excess grease as described in the tutorials on this web site)

Regards Gary 

Dominick

Gary that sounds like it will cure what you describe.  Check back in after you grease the drags.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

shanara

OK I greased both drag plates with cals-cleaned off the excess- and now the drag is nice and smooth, wonderfull.

However I notice that when I am in freespool and I spin the spool forwards or backwards the spool spins nice and free however there is a clicking sound. If I tip the reel on end - either way the clicking stops - does not seem right (just checked a TLD25 totaly silent)

Help