Penn Fathom 15

Started by mrbrklyn, December 29, 2013, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So, putting the cart before the horse, I god a decent deal on a Penn Fathom 15 which in the hand feels like a significant upgrade from my squal.  It is definetely sturdier, which I need since I tend to kick my equiptment around hard and leave it on the boat.    Any tips or thoughts about this reel?

SoCalAngler

I have a 25N and fished it last season. I think the Fathom line offers good bang for the buck. I did purchase the 4.8 gear set with yoke from with Black Peral but have yet to install it. I also did a preservice when I got the reel as some of the bearings were not fully packed, TSI'ed the spool bearings and the drag stack had more grease than I liked.

Keta

I too have a 25N (with Alan C's 4.9:1 gears installed) and like the reel.  The star drag Fathom reels are easy to service.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on December 29, 2013, 03:54:33 PM
why drop the gear ratio?

6:1 is fine for high speed jigging but too high for most other applications.  4:1 is my preferred gear ratio but 4.9:1 seems fine to me.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

I'm starting to see too many Fathoms in the shop with anti-reverse bearings that have failed -- and not from corrosion. And, unfortunately, to replace the arb you need to replace the entire side plate. I believe the Squall is designed that way too.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tile

I wonder if the antireverse bearing can be pressed out of the sideplate and swapped for a new one.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Robert Janssen

They got it in there to begin with. Surely if it can be gotten in, it can be gotten out?

Tile

The antireverse bearing is in fact a one-way roller bearing. It turns easily in the direction of rotation that is desired but when the bearing turns in the other direction it locks solid. Antireverse bearings fail by slippage when the inner tube slips against the rollers or the outer cage becomes deformed and compromise the whole bearing.

Ron Jones

The Penn sight says that their is a silent dog as back-up. To me the AR bearing is the back-up. Does anyone have any data on the reliability of the dog?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tile

The antireverse dog is an Ambassadeur-style one and it has the habit of failing by not engaging correctly or not at all over time. The problem can be solved with a security spring upgrade.

Keta

I usually target larger fish.

Mark Twain

CapeFish

Quote from: akfish on December 29, 2013, 04:53:04 PM
I'm starting to see too many Fathoms in the shop with anti-reverse bearings that have failed -- and not from corrosion. And, unfortunately, to replace the arb you need to replace the entire side plate. I believe the Squall is designed that way too.

In South Africa we got a free AR bearing replacement, you took your reel to the shop and they replaced the entire sideplate. I am sure you can remove that AR bearing?

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on January 15, 2014, 12:58:55 PM
show off :)

If you can arrange to be in the Pacific NW during halibut season I'll try to get you out.  We usually fish between 400' and 700' but we are planning on looking for some inshore this season.

Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

By the look of that last pic you fish in some nasty weather Lee ;)

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 15, 2014, 03:40:06 PM
By the look of that last pic you fish in some nasty weather Lee ;)

That was on the way home, it wasn't that rough when we left port.  I also think it was close to the Columbia River Bar where it gets real nasty at times.

Mark Twain