Penn 16S speculations

Started by BrianBM, December 30, 2013, 12:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

The 16S has very interesting gearing (to me) which makes it a very suitable little reel.  In an age of Super High Speed 2 speed reels with really low low gears this one has a respectable 4.5:1 high with a 2:1 low. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

I asked cuz I have a guy offering me on in good shape, not too cheap but at a good price considering the original price tag.
but I dont see many situations where I would want to use the penn 16s over a Baja or fathom 40ld2

grouper fishing came to mind for the tank build but also read bigger than 60#-80# leader in not recommended  :-\

local gruper fishing line used is 100-130# braid and 200# mono leader for abrasion purposes and for the Tug war
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

You could note that the reels in your comparison are sort of 'from a different age' - 16S is a +/-15 lb drag reel, where as the Baja/113N can do 20lb + all day with a little room to spare and the Torque goes above and beyond that.  But there are 20+ years of design changes/updates between these reels.  

I was going through a similar dilemma Alex, I wanted a second tilefish reel for those bruisers down deep.  I needed 700 yds of 50 lb braid.  My 113N has the upgrades and about 550 yds of 65 lb JB.  With the trips being 24, 36, 48 hours I wanted a back up just in case.  The 16S was in my top 3 because of the 4.5:1 high gear, but the price was still very steep for drag numbers not that much higher than a worked Jigmaster.  I ended up getting a 40NLD single speed with the 4.8:1 (and 40 in per crank) brand new for $187 shipped.  I'm testing it in 3 weeks so I'll let you know.  Not looking forward to the cost of all that brand this Sunday am though, haha!

Edit: After I posted this I forgot to add one of my biggest deciding factors...reel weight.  The 40NLD was only 25 oz or so...where was the 16s was just under 50 oz... :o
Dan from Philadelphia...

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 22, 2017, 07:26:52 PM
Ybut the price was still very steep for drag numbers not that much higher than a worked Jigmaster.  

my point exactly.

seems like I will pass on this 16s international, which is beautiful and feels like a brick (in strength and weight haha).
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

I was really hoping that the new 12VSX would have a bit lower high gears...like 4.5:1 High and a 2.3:1 Low.  That would be a fantastic gear train in a little reel.  But alas, I'll stick with what I've got and I'm darn happy the US Senator and 40NLD have sub 5.0:1 gears.  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 23, 2017, 02:29:41 PM
.........d I'm darn happy the US Senator and 40NLD have sub 5.0:1 gears.  ;D

same here Dan

Baja Special and Ft 40NLD2 will handle everything that swims locally... except if a Golliat grouper want to play, those things are massive, but not really want to kill anyone of those giants so, my guns are perfect as is.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on June 22, 2017, 11:37:36 PM
Quote from: coastal_dan on June 22, 2017, 07:26:52 PM
Ybut the price was still very steep for drag numbers not that much higher than a worked Jigmaster.  

my point exactly.

seems like I will pass on this 16s international, which is beautiful and feels like a brick (in strength and weight haha).

well, at the end I couldnt pass on a new offer for that reel  :-\ ::)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22537.0

The Baja Guy