Just wetting my feet

Started by Alto Mare, December 31, 2013, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on January 01, 2014, 04:46:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the Unimats. I've never used one. One of the best purchases I made for mine was a quick change tool post. I don't have to shim the tool bits to get them on the center line. And changing out tools is much easier. Bob
Hey Bob, is this one similar to yours?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271348623180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got me a couple of custom parts, the price of that lathe is climbing up ::).

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Wait until you get a milling machine!
A quick change tool post should  save you a lot of time on the lathe.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 04, 2014, 05:31:51 PM
Wait until you get a milling machine!
A quick change tool post should  save you a lot of time on the lathe.

x2.

An excellent investment!

Alto Mare

I'm finding that stainless steel is very hard to cut with this little lathe, it might not do me. I will try different types of cutter and see how that goes. I'm trying oil, water, slow speed, medium speed, sharpened cutters , but nothing seems to help. :-\ The parts I'm trying to cut are small.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, That is close. I made a bunch of extra tool holders for mine on my mill. You will never go back to a standard tool post afterwards. Stainless can be challenging on some of the small lathes. You need to take deep enough cuts so the stainless is not work hardened by very shallow cuts.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Cone

I don't have the attachment for a dremel. I might have to make me one.  ;)  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

AndrewC

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2014, 12:28:37 AM
I'm finding that stainless steel is very hard to cut with this little lathe, it might not do me. I will try different types of cutter and see how that goes. I'm trying oil, water, slow speed, medium speed, sharpened cutters , but nothing seems to help. :-\ The parts I'm trying to cut are small.

Sal

You might want to try Carbide insert tools on stainless 150/1000 rough cuts and the 1/2 the remainder down to two finish cuts

Soluble oil will also help keep the job cool and the tip sharp
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Alto Mare

Thanks again guys, you've been lots of help and I appreciate it.
I got me some nice accessories for this little lathe, I'm still amazed on how precise it is.
Here is a shot of a 4.75mm brass rod, I was able to cut it down to .45mm, not bad.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!