Just wetting my feet

Started by Alto Mare, December 31, 2013, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I'm practicing some cuts with my new vintage mini lathe

I must say, I'm impressed with the accuracy. I wasn't looking for anything big, I just wanted something that would cut some small parts nicely. The lathe is a Unimat SL 200 brand new, the owner purchased it in the late 70's and never took it out of the box. My first lathe...love it  ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Congratulations, Sal. People have done some awesome projects with the Unimats. I'm sure you will surprise us all with what you come up with. It's not the lathe its the person running it. If I can help at all let me know.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

How does the expression go?  The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.  Look at our guy Sal, sounding like a kid on Christmas morning.  Good luck with that new toy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Looks like you have officially graduated to post-graduate studies.  Best of luck with your new precision instrument of creation.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

Sal, you will wonder why you never did this sooner. As it has been said, it's not about the lathe, it's about the person using. There is plenty of stuff on the 'tube, and instructibles is a great website for tips and projects as well.

It's a great skill to have, and you never stop learning.

Congrats on the purchase.

AndrewC

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 31, 2013, 07:35:22 AM
Sal, you will wonder why you never did this sooner. As it has been said, it's not about the lathe, it's about the person using. There is plenty of stuff on the 'tube, and instructibles is a great website for tips and projects as well.

It's a great skill to have, and you never stop learning.

Congrats on the purchase.

/quote]

Check out Tubal Caine on Youtube for hints and advice on anything from setting up your lathe to milling and broaching. The mans a Wiz 
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Robert Janssen

QuoteThe lathe is a Unimat SL 200 brand new, the owner purchased it in the late 70's and never took it out of the box. My first lathe...love it

Wow, that's great! A lot of budding turners dream of such a thing. You're going to enjoy that one! Funny, no matter what happens in the future, you never forget your first lathe.

Shark Hunter

Alright Sal! I expect some super secret parts, just between us buddy! ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

You da man Sal. Congratulations on the new tools. Now what is the first dream project going to be?

BMITCH

Sal, congrats!! Now let's see, hmmmmm what parts do I need? ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

Well done Sal. Think of all the stainless steel parts you can now make,spacing sleeves,handle lock screws etc etc.

alantani

gotta get me one of those!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rothmar2

Here you go Sal....

Remember the right side bearing I PM'd you about a couple of weeks ago?
Saw Brian Young's nifty bearing puller a few days ago, and couldn't help myself....

Knocked this up in a few hours. The sleeve at the end will do bearings with an ID of 4.7-5.3mm.
Will be knocking a few more up to do larger bearings.
Don't just limit yourself to parts.

I predict you'll be looking for a small milling machine within 12 months....... ;D

Bryan Young

Awesome Sal and Rothmar2.

I have a lathe, mill, and some other stuff that I just have to get out there and play with it...maybe when it warms up a bit as I need to make jigs for remove ARBs from Accurates, Pinion Bearing from Avets, and such.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Dr. TANKenstien I presume????

Sal, I can envision bolts of lightning, Tesla coil bolts of electricity, your avatar/picture with a shop coat/apron on, a cigar in one hand and a 113H tank in the other and the mad scientist smile  :o on your face in your shop/labratory.  Dont forget to check in with your family and us here on the forum from time to time. When I first learned how to weld, I welded everything down in the body shop of the bus maintenance division where I worked at the time. Oh yeah, dont forget to shave from time to time  ;D. Im happy for you Sal; time to let your imagination out to play and explore!

Happy New Year Sal, I mean Dr. Tankenstein!

Leo