16vsx vs avet hxw raptor

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, December 31, 2013, 03:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Which would yall pick for fishing on a rail rod for sharks? Probably gonna get 80lb solid to a short 80lb topper on the 16vsx, and 100lb hollow to 80lb topper on the hxw. This will be mainly for pier fishing, ive been looking into a high power lightweight setup that packs a punch
Grayson Lanier

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jl

Tightlines667

Don't count the Fin Nor - Marquesa MA16 out either...

-23lb max drag
-6.1:1/43"
-400yds/50lb braid
-$299 MSRP

Or the MA20II...

-45lb max drag
-6.1:1/51"    3.1:1/26"
-540yds/50lb braid
-$369 MSRP

Nice little reels.

I have serviced several and they appear to hold up quite well under heavy use (unlike their larger breathern)

Negatives...free spool suffers a bit, and drag curve is pretty steep (low end not real good on stock reals).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dynamo

I'd go a bit larger and get a Makaira 30se or 20se. It would still be compact and It'd have enough line if you wanted to beach fish or if you hooked Rayzilla. I like the design of the Makairas better then The Internationals and Okuma's customer service is better than Avet. Let us know what you decide on.

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Tile

I recommend the 16VSX - solid geartrain and drag design, not to mention 4 king sized bearings.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Shark Hunter

Sounds like you are stepping up your game Grayson! ;) I vote Penn! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I'm as big a Penn fan as the next guy, but remember the new VSX models are much different from the old international II series.  These reels have tigger overall tolerances, and have had sum problems with the gear train misalignment (corrected by shimming under drive gear), and binding of the eccentric lever/cam area. The SS bearings are all the same size.  The FinNor uses a much larger pinion bearing, distributes applied load away from spool bearings, and I believe has a larger overall drag surface area (relatively speaking).  The Fin Nor bearings are Ceramic and smoother initially, but show wear more markedly...I think.  The 2 speed shift mech on the VSXs are definately more complicated and more difficult to service (see the topic on this forum for how to), but they do ensure that the reel remains engaged at all times.  The FinNor's 2 speed mech is prone to sticking if not properly cleaned or lubed too heavily.  The FinNor's drag curve is also much steeper.  I think if finished typically at higher settings the FinNor outperforms, for smoother lower end drag range performance the VSX.  Just make sure to service the VSX regularily if that's what you decide on.  Just a few things to think about.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.