Penn GT320 ?

Started by AllenW, January 01, 2014, 04:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

Somebody I know mentioned they hear Penn was phasing out the GT320 reel ???

Also is there a comparable reel that has a bit higher retrieve ratio??

These are used mostly for leadcore trout/salmon fishing.

TIA

al

conchydong

I think Penn has the Fathom levelwind series to replace the GTIs.  Shimano has the Tekota level wind. I think Okuma has something also but don't recall the name of it.

AllenW

Thanks, at about $200 the price of fishing has gone up again.. :)

Al

akfish

Actually, the Squall Level Wind series is meant to be a replacement for the GTi (and GT2) series. The Squall 20LW holds the same amount of line as the 320, and has a slightly faster retrieve (4.9:1 versus 4.3:1). It also has a bit more drag. List price is under $120. I think it's a better reel than the 320 but can't say I like having the anti-reverse bearing integral to the right side plate. It does have a mechanical back up dog.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

AllenW

Quote from: akfish on January 01, 2014, 07:47:12 PM
Actually, the Squall Level Wind series is meant to be a replacement for the GTi (and GT2) series. The Squall 20LW holds the same amount of line as the 320, and has a slightly faster retrieve (4.9:1 versus 4.3:1). It also has a bit more drag. List price is under $120. I think it's a better reel than the 320 but can't say I like having the anti-reverse bearing integral to the right side plate. It does have a mechanical back up dog.

You think the anti reverse might be a problem if all I'm doing is trolling with it??
Thanks I'll take a look, I like the faster retrieve.

Al

AllenW

Quote from: mrbrklyn on January 02, 2014, 03:53:52 AM
Quote from: conchydong on January 01, 2014, 05:50:30 PM

I think Penn has the Fathom levelwind series to replace the GTIs.  Shimano has the Tekota level wind. I think Okuma has something also but don't recall the name of it.

i think the Squal leverwinds are essentailly destined to fill that market.  I'm not extremely happy with my squal, and I'm liekly move on to a fathom.

Can I ask what you didn't like?
tia

Al

conchydong

AllenW

Quote from: conchydong on January 02, 2014, 03:23:23 PM

Found the Okuma with a 6 to 1 gear ratio. https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/star-drag-reels/clarion

Seems like a better fit if you are looking for a faster retrive, which I am, thanks.

Al

AllenW

Quote from: mrbrklyn on January 03, 2014, 01:43:37 AM
Quote from: AllenW on January 02, 2014, 03:07:35 PM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on January 02, 2014, 03:53:52 AM
Quote from: conchydong on January 01, 2014, 05:50:30 PM

i think the Squal leverwinds are essentailly destined to fill that market.  I'm not extremely happy with my squal, and I'm liekly move on to a fathom.

Can I ask what you didn't like?
tia

Al

Its construction.  It is not at all rugged.

Thanks, good reason to switch. 

al

floating doc

I bought a 320 GTi so I could get the Senator type antireverse. I think it will last longer.
Central Florida

seaeagle2

That must be why costco.com is selling them for 74.99
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson