Service observations - December 2013

Started by Jeri, December 25, 2013, 05:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Some interesting observations of all the reels that we handled over the December period, bearing in mind that this is our hype busy period, as it is the main summer holiday down here, and everyone and his family is out on the beach – surf fishing.

Apart from all the pretty standard service reels that we did, which basically involve clean, oil bearings and lightly grease the gears, as well as clean out loads of sand that gets into covers.

A goodly number of Shimano Torium reels were coming in with stiff winding mechanisms, and this was found to be failure of lubrication in the bush at the bottom of the drive shaft. Where in the Trinidad models, there is a very slim ball bearing, on this economy model they had opted for a bush. I don't want to re-ignite the bush vs. bearing debate, but even on the Trinidad this bearing (unshielded) is open to the elements inside the spool housing, so is a frequent failure point on the old gold series Trinidads – and now becoming an issue with the Torium models.

Whether the above failure is just a factor of low maintenance or a sign of a longer term defect in the design?

Another disappointment was the number of Diawa BG multipliers that have had catastrophic failure of the pinion gear, where it dogs onto the spool shaft. We first saw this about 18 months ago, and also saw recent adverts from Diawa announcing 'now with improved and strengthened pinion gear technology', but obviously they didn't recall all the old stock with the defective gears. Summer holidays has seen a lot of folks buying what appears could be a good reel, only to end up buying something that should have been recalled.

In a reflective moment, perhaps brought on by the festive season, I sometime think that the general public really are taken for a ride by some of the bigger companies with the quality standards of their products.

On a brighter note, good wishes to all in 2014, and may all that you catch be so big they don't need exaggeration.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

Dominick

Hi Jeri.  Thanks for the report.  That was an interesting observation.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Chris Gatorfan

Good to know. I will now know where to look should i recieve reels with this issue. Thanks.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Jeri

Hi

Strange thing is that since writing that report 6 days ago, we have had a further 5 Diawa BG Saltists in the workshop, 4 had been used and all had sheared the pinion gear lugs that engage the spool. The fifth was brand new, never been loaded with line even, but the guy wanted a pre-use service on the bearings – and this one had problems straight from the box, and having been bought abroad, he couldn't take it back to the shop!!!

The pinion gear was so tight on the spool shaft that it didn't engage against the springs, just sat disengaged on the shaft. When it came to dismantling the reel, we really used a lot of pressure to free the gear from the shaft – and eventually found the tolerances to be what could best in engineering terms be a 'tight fit'. After using a lot of Alan's suggested grinding paste (toothpaste) on numerous Q=tips, we eventually got the gear to slide up and down on the shaft – but a serious chore, especially on a brand new reel.

And folks ask me why we don't stock Diawa products??? – I would be embarrassed to sell them.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

Irish Jigger

Very interesting Jeri.

Country of manufacture springs to mind as I have never had issues with my Japanese made Daiwas or Shimanos.
Those made in Thailand or Malaysia were nothing but trouble and all had "tolerance" problems.

Cheers from a cold, wet and windy Ireland.

Jeri

Hi

This is something we have long noticed when these bigger companies take production of a model back to Japan, suddenly they cure most issues, and you end up with a higher spec reel. Leave it out to sub-contracted factories, and you get nothing but problems.

Personally, I'll stick with Avets & Release Reels, at least they care about what goes out their factory door.

Cheers from sunny and hot Africa,

Jeri