113 H

Started by SoCalAngler, January 02, 2014, 05:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Should I replace the stock gear sleave a stainless one when fishing the 113H at 15-16 lbs of drag? If so should I replace the stock gears with stainless also at this time? I do not use this line test range often, maybe a couple of times a year if that. I do like the idea of having the strongest reel I can make it but just wondering if it is necessary for how little the reel will be used?

Keta

I would replace the gear sleeve, the gears will be good.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I agree. I actually think the sleeve will be fine, but SS gear sleeves just make the reel so much nicer that they are always worth the money.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Fish it until the handle becomes wobbly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Mark, at those numbers it would be  fine as is. Here comes the But, why would you when you have the option to double the numbers on those ;D.
The reality is that we'll never know what's going to take that line, having a reel that would be fished at 15lb and able to handle 30lb is a good thing.
Now, installing the Stainless Steel  sleeve and Black Pearl's gears will create a chain reaction. If you have a Tiburon frame already, you could stop there or you could install the double stainless steel dogs,
If going with the upgrades, you would be at around $140 into it...not bad considering. Since you're on the left side of the coast, you might want the narrow topless kit, you would then be at around $200 into it.
There has been lots of discussion in the past on why would you invest that much when you could purchase a brand new reel with the same features, my opinion to you is to go with the upgrades.
Again, just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you decide, if you need help with anything, just ask!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Thank you all for your insite. The reel I'm looking to maybe upgrade is the Pro Gear YTS I was looking to sell. I did not find any takers, though I didn't look to hard, so I might as well fish it, right? This reel will be used for 50 lb toppers so I will not be pushing the reel past around 16-17 lbs of drag max. It's looking like the reel sleeve from Alan is a no brainer at the cost. Having never fished or owned a 113 or anything with its gears yet had me a little worried about how well it would hold up to the drag tests I'm looking to use. For me 50 lb is fished seldom, I mostly make a jump from 40 to 60lb when the larger fish show. I have other reels for the heavier line, read two speeds here, so the YTS will never see anything over 50lb test and will not be fished at 40 lb test as I have other reels I fish at this test. Again thanks for your comments.

LTM

SoCal,

I too am re-evaluating my reels; especially prior to upgrading.  To piggy-back on Sal's statement, especially in regards to your Pro Gear YTS. Its only a minimum cost to add the ss sleeve and ONE Keta ss dog and your reel is basically "good-to-go" (minus the second dog). Alan sells a ss sleeve kit (with a cf washer for under the main gear) to address just this need. As you stated, your not going to use it for more than 50# and this minor cost will difinitely beef-up your reel without any invasive modifications like cutting/milling side plates and no worries about rounding-off the sleeve with your handle.  Bottom line; its cheap insurance!

Leo

SoCalAngler

Leo,

As far as the drags go it came to me NIB with with the 5+1 carbon drags already installed but thanks for the heads up.

floating doc

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 02, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Leo,

As far as the drags go it came to me NIB with with the 5+1 carbon drags already installed but thanks for the heads up.

Drag sounds good, all you need is some Cal's grease.
Central Florida

maxpowers

My take on this is if the reel is capable of handling heavier line, I would not be hesitate to upgrade.  By using short topshot, the same 4/0 or Progear YTS can fish down to 30 lbs and up to 60 lbs without worry.  Since I don't have my own boat and must ride the cattle boats, I want to minimize the amount of gears to bring.  For 3 days or less fishing on the SD fleet, I want to bring at most 3 rigs,  my p229, progear 541, and either Baja Special or the "Tank."  The p229 can fish down to 10 lbs test and up to 40 lbs without issue.  The progear can fish 20-50 lbs easily, and the Baja Special or "tank" can fish from to 30- 80 lbs top shot without issue.  As far as gear ratio and 2 speed, most of the smaller 2 speeds will have similar power to the YTS, 541.  The slightly larger 2 speeds is similar to the Baja Special or the "tank."  Large fish have been landed on Newell and single speed Penns for a long time now..

SoCalAngler

I have gear to fish from 15lbs to 100lb here in the states, 2-15lb, 1-20lb, 1-25lb, 2-30lb, 2-40lb, the one Pro Gear for 50lb, 1-60lb and 1 to fish 80-100lb toppers. with all of my reels spectra backed. I also have 4 or 5 setups in Mexico to fish from 20 to 80lb test. I don't find myself chasing cow sized tuna much anymore so no demand for anything heavier at this time but through my father I have that covered also. I like you Max like to limit my gear when going out on the sportties but I don't want to have to change topshots, up or down during a bite because you never know how long it will last. As you know sometimes only the first couple of baits in the water will get bit and if I have to make my way to my taclke box, break out the fluoro retie a topshot and hook, grab another bait, get it into the zone the bite could be over.

maxpowers

I agree with that assessment about changing the topshot.  What I have done effectively is fish the heaviest mono topshot on each of my setup and tie a flouro on top.  My topshot are usually 10-30 yards.  I tied a 6 ft flouro on top.  once the bite become a plunker I will change out the topshot to lighter stuff 

SoCalAngler

Max,

I do the same as some of my gear has 100 yard or so topshots. Change the fluoro to something lighter, reset the drags and your back in the game. Down in Baja it is the other way around for me, lighter line with a heavier fluoro for greater aberration resistance for fish that arn't that line shy. Other reels go from braid to as long of a fluoro topshot I can get onto my setup having the connection knot outside of the tip top guide when casting, so 6' to around 8'.

I finally spooled up the PG and will leave some info on the drag and freespool I'm getting on the PG board as I think I hijacked the Penn board long enough. I'm sorry about this but I thought since the reel uses the 113H gears and more that here is where I'd find more info about the internals.