Penn 340 ?s -- bearings, fiber washer

Started by dylan, May 01, 2010, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylan

Hello,
I have questions, specific to a Penn 340, but they are general questions:   

1.  Bearings -- there's two bearings in here that appear to have pressed in metal shields (affect the drive, not freespool).  They are a little gritty but manageable.  Soak in solvent and then soak in oil (i.e., keep the shields)?  Or trash the shields & then clean?   

2.  Regarding the upgrade of the fiber washer under the main gear:  can I use an old 113H normal drag washer?  It is a lot larger in diameter, and looks like it could possibly interfere with the action of the dog.  This could be bad...  I know a smaller one is recommended by Alan. Any experience here?

Thanks in advance,
Dylan

akfish

You may be able to lean the bearings, but from my experience, you'l likely have to replace them. When you do, grease them well. These bearings don't affect free spool, so lots of grease is the way to go. I'd stick with the fiber washer under the gear (004 349). That reel gets plenty of drag with the stock washers -- maybe even more than it can handle given the flimsy frame.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

dylan

akfish,

I'm ordering the bearing packer from Alan.  And will stick w/ the stock fiber washer; the upgrade is more for adding more drag -- more of a hot rod feature, not necessary in this case. 

Thank you!!
Dylan