Pro Gear YTS

Started by SoCalAngler, January 03, 2014, 03:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Ok people I think I hijacked the Penn board long enough with my Pro Gear questions. I purchased a NIB Yellowtail Special last winter. I was given a great price, such a great price I could not pass it up. Ok, so I get the reel and open it up to do a prefishing service and I'm happy to find a 5+1 Carbontex drag stack installed. I think bonus but I don't know if thats how they came stock or not? Well anyway the reels sits all season long not to be fished just looked at from time to time. I list it here on Alans site for sale and on another board but no real biters, so it just sits calling to be fished. It called so loud I finally decide to spool it up with some line. I spool the YTS with Seagaurs kinda new Kanzen braid. I get 300 yards of 60 lb Kanzen with about 1/4 of the spool left, maybe more since the spool widens at the top, for a 50lb topshot. Now with some line on the spool I can do some testing I was not able to do with out line. I get 22lbs of drag with the Cal's greased Carbontex drags and one minute of freespool after doing the prefishing service which includes TSI 321 on the bearings that need it. Ok, freespool is subjective to the amount of force and speed at which the spool is spun and yes I use my thumd only to measure this and I like to think I use the same force and speed when measuring all reels but how can you really measure that? Anyway I said on the other thread I'd leave some info on what I found and that was it. I have contacted Alan about a stainless gear shaft for the reel and after that it needs a meeting with some 100lb tuna.

maxpowers

The YTS is a very nice reel.  I essentially upgraded my 541 to a super YTS with all the upgrades from here.  BTW Turners now have the 50, 60, and 80 lbs Seaguar Threadlock for a very good price.  600 yards spool of 60 lbs is $72, 80 lbs is $89, 50 lbs is $64 i think.  I was able to get them at 15% discount due to rain check from their Christmas flyer.  The 60 opened up really nicely and spliced really well to make loop leaders.  I am inserting mono down to 30 lbs test in it. 

alantani

the yellowtail special takes a 113h gear sleeve.  i had pulled out a 113/jigmaster gear sleeve to ship, not a 113h.  i will fix that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Just a little update to anyone who cares. I spooled mono onto the YTS, well really a copolymer, and was able to get 100 yards of 50 lb Izorline XXX on top of the 300 yards of 60 lb braid. 400 yardsis plenty of line for what I plan on using the reel for.