Triple double dog dare ya!

Started by Shark Hunter, January 05, 2014, 07:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got Bryans ss springs and Lee's washers and dogs yesterday. Time for some double doggin'. I'm going to attempt three reels in one evening. With BP's Hex in each one.
First, is the half frame 114HLW, I already put the Hex in this one, it just needs the double ss dogs and springs.
114HLW Full frame next. The half frame was much easier to work on. I had to remove the left side plate first and tap out the right. These frames are easily damaged if you are not careful.

I went a little different with the spring on this one. The Half frame spring was rubbing the spool, I had to take it back apart and grind the spring down a little. I kept this one away from the spool. The half frame has a 4 stack of .140 CF's with stock washers. This one has a 5 stack of .120 CF's with Lee's washers and the Belleville on top. When I went to screw down the Bridge, There wasn't enough room in the plate. I had to take the last hex drag out, put in another of Lee's .47 washers and then the Belleville.

Two Down, One to go. You were right about the ss springs Sal, A lot springier! ;D More clickety clack action!

The 9/0 is a little dirtier than I like. I got it dogged, but the cleanup is taking me too long. I'll put it together tonight. The sun is coming up. I found an excellent bearing cleaner. Hoppe's no. 9. I put the bearings in the bottle with just a little bit of cleaner, shook them around for a few minutes and they came out like new!
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Nice work Daron ;) those look really hard core! Thanks for sharing!
luck is the residue of design.

LTM

Daron your having too much fun!

Well, I've plenty of Hoppe's #9 bore solvent. And it hasnt damaged any of my ss pistols, so I guess its safe for SOME of my bearings. The reason I say some is that Ive noticed a black colored race in some of my bearings and I dont know what material its made of. Looks like I'll read the labe again and see whats up. I know about those long nites and your trying to get to bed before you hear the chirping of the birds in the early morning. Take care man!

Leo

LTM

Daron,

In the last picture; what are those bright lime green bands near the Hoppes bottle, and what is that tool directly behind the bottles that looks like an e-cigarette? Also, what do you use the Sharpie permanent markers for?

Thanx,

Leo

Shark Hunter

Right you are Leo. I'm quitting smoking and the E-cig is the way to go. ;D
The green bands are a Necklace for the E-cig.
I use the sharpie for marking the rings on the inside so I don't mix them up, and for labeling the reel when it goes in the collection(in a file cabinet) in a Crown Royal bag.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: BMITCH on January 05, 2014, 08:03:54 PM
Nice work Daron ;) those look really hard core! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Bob. I'll probably go back and tap the other holes in the frame later on. I see what you mean now about the holes in the plates, but not in the rings or frame. The half frame has the Phillips screws already tapped in the frame. I like that setup a lot better.
Life is Good!

Dominick

That's what I call producing. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

nice work!  i will get the handle grips into the mail this evening.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TomT

Daron,
Good work!!   I am going to do a 114h with BP's hex gears.  I made the washers with 1.4mm following your posts--I even made an extra set.  I am not ready to install everything yet, but I put the hex washers with stock round washers and with just laying them in there, it looks like I could not use more than a 4 stack.  It sounds like you did not have clearance problems with this one--am I correct??  Maybe if I put them together and compressed them down for a day or two, they might fit?  What do you think?
TomT

saltydog

Very nice work now for hex gears for the 12/0 thru 16/0 that would be fun.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Quote from: TomT on January 05, 2014, 11:45:28 PM
Daron,
Good work!!   I am going to do a 114h with BP's hex gears.  I made the washers with 1.4mm following your posts--I even made an extra set.  I am not ready to install everything yet, but I put the hex washers with stock round washers and with just laying them in there, it looks like I could not use more than a 4 stack.  It sounds like you did not have clearance problems with this one--am I correct??  Maybe if I put them together and compressed them down for a day or two, they might fit?  What do you think?
TomT
Tom, The 5 stack was .120 CF's and Lee's washers which are thinner than stock. I did get a 5 stack in the 9/0 Using Lee's .47 washers and .140 CF drags. Stock washers are about .65, Lee's are .47. I'm just getting crazy on this. The four stack with .140 CF's and stock washers will generate 50 lbs plus. That is all you need.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Wrapping up with the 9/0 this evening.

I like this spring placement much Better.

Another Success! I'll be using these plates for Dom and Tom's Frame I am patiently waiting for.

Looks like the wait is about over! Dom says he's expecting them next week! Hot Damn!! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Sweet...I can't wait to hear the shark stories and shark pics.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Nice Daron!  I'm also patiently waiting for Dam & Alan's frame for my new 9/0  ;)
...is that a ss gear sleeve I see there  ???
and what did you use the red thread lock for?

p.s- i'm sending your pic to a friend of mine over in Loveland.. Miller/Coors rep.. they are surveying customers about returning to the old school High Life label  ;D ;D  ... how would you like to be heard?

Shark Hunter

Yes Eric,
ss sleeve, yoke, dogs, springs and BP's ss gears. The threadlock is for Alan's handle screw when I attach it to the Keta Krank. Yea, I like the High Life. I like to mix it up on my beers, but I like to keep it old school once in a while with the Miller. I'm down with the old Label.
Life is Good!