Hex Gear for the Diawa 400s & 600s

Started by gstours, January 08, 2014, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Happy New Year to ye All!!!!
As its winter and I like spending more time indoors, another "what if" project came to the surface, splashed a little, and came into reallity.

The brass main gear was very thick walled on both the Diawa 400 & 600s and worked out good for milling the 8 eared gear for the reinforced cf washers along with thinner keyed steel washers...... I fished them last summer and these worked great, but the eared washers were laborsome, and not for everybody........but they worked getting the reels way more and smoother drag ranges like they deserved.
  So I milled out the brass gear into a hex.  I havent tried it yet with washers but dont see why it wont work ok!!!!

so attatched is a picture of the work.  I realize its not stainless, nor is the gear sleeve, but think with a double dog, It should fish fine at drag settings of 30-40 lbs. and the cost was FREE!!!! so now I,m open for your comments........thanks  gstours...

Bryan Young

Very nice work G!  Let us know how those brass teeth hold up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

I would expect nothing less  :o these look great. Took some time I'm sure and it looks that way! Good luck with these and pull on some barn doors!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Nice Work! GS. Impressive to say the least! ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

I agree with Daron.  "Nice Work! GS. Impressive to say the least!"  Now we need a report when you get out and brave the elements.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MFB

Good job, you have got me thinking now....

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

floating doc

I'm a fan of the sealine reels from their introduction. I've got a 50H, plus 450, 600 and 900H. The only modifications are smoothies. I have the carbon fiber Ultimate Upgrade drags for the 6/0 and 9/0, but haven't fished them yet.

These reels deserve more attention. they are a great platform for modifying.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

They have my attention. Been trying to score a 900H for a while now. I got a good deal on one and sold it to my son. He really wanted it and I only have a couple Senators. ;D He has a 4/0 and the 900H.
I need to get one while The Boss still has the drag kits.
Life is Good!

Porthos

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 09, 2014, 05:55:28 AM
They have my attention. Been trying to score a 900H for a while now. I got a good deal on one and sold it to my son. He really wanted it and I only have a couple Senators. ;D He has a 4/0 and the 900H.
I need to get one while The Boss still has the drag kits.

Can also just get the drag kit first and then wait for the next good deal on a 900H...there are more 900H's around than there are drag kits.

Shark Hunter

You are reading my mind Porthos. You aren't a psychic, are you?
I'll be totally honest with you. I am keeping Alan so busy with my parts, I feel guilty asking him for anything else at this time. Another thing, I have so many different Senators tricked out with all the cool parts from everyone here, I really don't think there is another reel on this planet that can compete with a 9/0 sized reel other than a Senator. With Black Pearl Hex stainless helical cut gears, Alan's ss sleeve kits , Bryan's ss springs and washers, Lee's ss double dogs and Kranks, and an Aluminum Frame from Dom to give it the "pièce de résistance" This reel will pull 50 lbs of drag all day without breaking a sweat. ;)
Not to rain on the Daiwa Parade Here, but this reel is Awesomesauce!
P.S. I'm still going to order the 900H drags buddy. ;)
Life is Good!

Topshot

If anybody needs some sealines to mess with just let me know. 3-30h's 3-50h's 1-350h 3-400h's and 3-600h's ;D
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

MFB

Might be keen on a 600H, how much? I also prefer the Daiwa sealine series over Penn senators primarily for having an aluminium frame from the factory, drag & a handle grip upgrade & they're gold...

Rgds

Mark     
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D