Modena Italy Gladiator Reels

Started by Tightlines667, January 09, 2014, 07:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

OldSchool

And as good as the day it was made for a 40+ year old reel.

edo68

Hello everybody from Milano Italy.
I need your help! I have just bought one of this old and strong Gladiator 6/0 that was Made in Modena a little town in northern Italy ( very near to the place where is built the Ferrari)
I think my model is older than the previous one.
My reels has a problem , the backstop doesn' t work at all, so I have opened the left side and I have founded that the machinery is under a black Nylon shield.
After I have removed the three inox screws I can' t remove the black nylon plate, so Someone could help me? How I have to do to remove the black plastic cover over the dogs of the backstop machinery?
I have left the left plate under a solvent for a week, and i have warmed it but nothing.

Thanks and sorry for my English!!

Edoardo

Tightlines667

Thsnks for giving us a look inside of these unique reel!  Can you show a photo of the outer side of the right drive  plate fully dissasembled?  I suspect that plate may be attached with 3 screws and am wondering if you access them from the outside of the drive plate.  You may want to call the manufacturer for advice here?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Benvenuto Edoardo! I'm not sure, but from your pic it looks like the (3) screws have threads under the spacer. Try grabbing gently with needle nose pliers by the smooth post and see if the screw gives a little. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

edo68

Grazie del benvenuto.
I have already written to the factory but in the last 40 years the property had changed several times and now the production is totally different and from another place.
I hope at Gladiator ( Now in the family of Italcanna) someone remebers something of the old time.
In the pic I have left the 3 inox screws just removed from their holes, up side down on the black plastic cover near each hole.
The plastic cover dose n' t seem to have anything else that stops it in place, but I can' t separate it from the alluminium left side.

Tightlines667

Found another one...

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

edo68

No more problems, I have boiled the two parts in hot water and I have openbsd them ( before i have done some  x ray to the parts in my Dentist Office.....)
Now it works like a swiss watch ;D

Thad loves boats

Hey this is my first post on this website. Amazing info already thanks a lot for helping me service my reels. I have a classic gladiator 4/0 that I used the schematic above to help me out and for some reason the reel is still not functioning properly. I think I have a problem with a brass ring and which direction it should be facing, my fault for not taking a picture or remembering. The first time I put it together, everything worked but the handle would get harder to crank the more drag pressure was on. Now the when the drag turns, the handle turns with it. The anti-reverse must not be engaged for some reason. I will try and post some pictures of the inside below. I hope I get this reel running, cought some small makos with it last year before it started acting screwy, it needed to be looked at. Thanks!

Quote from: OldSchool on February 24, 2014, 01:12:43 PM

Thad loves boats

Never mind folks, had the anti reverse backwards. Duh. Pumped on using his reel for another 50 years!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Assuming that reel is going to get cleaned up, serviced, and lubed for "Salt Ready"?

Got to take care of these old soldiers...

Even though they are built like tanks -- unless cleaned and serviced regularly (once a season) -- the life expectancy and performance is severely limited.

If maintained properly -- they will outlast most of us.

Plus, the parts for these are past impossible to locate anywhere, to my knowledge.

Nice job figuring it out...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

redsetta

Hi lads,
I had the very good fortune to be able to buy a stash of Modena-era, NOS Gladiator parts.
Many of the parts are universal and for all models, but there are also quite a number of model-specific parts - gears, shafts, drag plates, handle blades and handles etc - for the 4/0, 9/0 and 12/0.
My main aim in buying them was just to save 'em from ending up in the landfill.
It'd be great to see them back inside working reels, so if you have any specific needs or even want the whole lot, flick me a PM.
I'd also be keen to hear if there are any old Gladiators out there that could do with a new home...
Cheers, Justin

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

54bullseye

I need a 9/0 foot or stand for a Gladiator or a Mitchell President. I bought a 9/0 President that foot had been filed heavily.   John Taylor