Modena Italy Gladiator Reels

Started by Tightlines667, January 09, 2014, 07:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Has anyone ever heard if the Modena reels from Italy?

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Yes. Why?

Looks like you've got a 6/0 in a cradle there?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I'd never seen them before and ran across this one for sale locally.  Externally they look a little like cross between an Everol and the old style FinNors.  I assume they don't have a hydraulic fluid filled chamber.  It'd be interesting to service her. 
Hope springs eternal

BMITCH

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 09, 2014, 06:08:14 PM
I'd never seen them before and ran across this one for sale locally.  Externally they look a little like cross between an Everol and the old style FinNors.  I assume they don't have a hydraulic fluid filled chamber.  It'd be interesting to service her. 

What were they asking for it? What about that rod it's attached to?
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

That's a collector piece right there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

I assume they don't have a hydraulic fluid filled chamber.  

No, not at all. Quite simple, mechanically speaking. You shouldn't have any trouble with servicing it, although new parts may be a little tricky to come by.

They were and are still quite well known, and manufactured around 1967-1972 by a fellow named J.C. Rosetti and a company called OFMER. The torch was passed a few times, and the reels were sold for a time with the name Mitchell President. Some of the heritage remains in the reel business even to this day.

They aren't exactly rare, but a little unusual nowadays. Some collector interest for unusual or special examples. They come up on Ebay from time to time.

Tightlines667

Gladiator reel & custom 'Blue Royal' pole ... $625obo.    It's in town here, so if someone wants it and seller is not willing to ship to ML, I might be able to help out.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/4278994119.html

Like I said, I'm not familiar w/ this setup or how 'rare' it actually is.
Hope springs eternal

BMITCH

Tightlines! Thanks for the link and posting it.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Yes, Thanks for sharing John. That a cool looking setup. 8)
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Just noticed that the seller says it has dual speeds.

No... no, i'm quite certain that it is not a two-speed, and feel quite sure that Gladiator didn't make any. Not 100% sure on that, but still...

(part of a longer story... I know a fellow who was going to write a book about them; I provided a great deal of the information for him. And I just don't recall any two-speeds being mentioned.)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

JoMa

My friend has one under the name Mitchell President 6.0 and I have serviced it once when a cow pulled so hard that it broke his rod holder and his rod and reel went for a dive ;D
It's built like a tank, and the interesting thing is that all bearings on it are doubled (as far as I can remember, 6 or 7 years passed since) so the spool is not on 2 but on 4 bearings. The drag is not carbon fiber, but it's made from similar material to that used on disk brake pads. I found some info about it on the net and, I think that I got a schematics from Mitchell maybe, but I lost it when my HDD went dead.

OldSchool

This line of reels were made in Italy by J.C. Rossetti Co. who was in business from 1967 - 1970. The plant and the reel line were then sold to Mitchell of France who then offered it for three years as the "Mitchell President. I believe in its day it was approx $5,000 new. There about but would consider them hard to find and ive seen them advertised for sale for 300-500ea

Shark Hunter

Wow! Funky Cold Medina, like I thought! ;D
Life is Good!