Accurate Boss Magnum 870 Trouble

Started by Drisse, January 10, 2014, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Cleaned up the left side of the reel and started to rebuild. Put the cast control screw back. Twisted it in so it aligned with the sideplate. Then on with the cast control knob. Rotated the knob to more. After a wihle, the knob loose contact with the screw and I cant get the screw back to less ? Both the screw and the knob looks ok I think. Just wondering If the knob should be bent like that or it shold be flat ? Any ideas ?

Drisse

Found a picture where the knob is flat with no bent "ears" . I guess it the same on all models ? Wonder why the person bent that knob ?

Drisse

Hi folks !

Anyone who knows if it possible to get Accurate parts elsewhere than from Accurate ? They don't seem to quick to answer on emails. Is there any shops that provides their parts ? About the spoolbearing I need. Is it possible to find that measurment elswhere  (from Alans list: left and right spool - 0.187 x 0.5 x 0.195 inch ) ? Seems like an odd measurment to me. Saw som cheap ones on ebay, but doubt about the quality. 

conchydong

Drisse

Thanks alot for the advice conchydong !

Bryan Young

I would try Dawn at SmoothDrag.com.  She sends drags overseas often, and I'm sure she would also send bearings, handles,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drisse

Got my new bearings and the plastic locking clip for the cast control knob. Thanks alot Bryan :)

Started to rebuild the last things. Thought it should be an easy job..... But I have some trouble to get the lever arm to work properly ? Sometimes I get it to run up and down nice and easy, but any small adjustment on the tension cam, the lever arm can't be moved or is really hard to move ? And any small adjustment makes almost max drag.

Took it apart and rebuild it a couple of times with the same result. Moved the cast control to less, and then adjusted it to more, but no difference.

Any advices, or I've done some rookie misstake on thisone :)

Bryan Young

I have the same issues with the reels I service.  If you take out the cam in the lever assembly, you will see a sharp jump to engage the drag.  Often, there is a sharp corner in the cam from free spool to engaging the drag.  I take a fine micro-file and round off that corner making the engagement easer and smoother.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drisse

Thanks Bryan !

Will give it a try this evening.

Drisse

Did as you said Bryan. Now the lever arm works a bit easier, but there's still something wrong with the drag ? If I just adjust the tension knob a little bit its still like max drag ? Can't figure out what I've done wrong.

And the spool was stuck when I got my friends reel, so I couldn't test it Before I took it apart. So I don't know how  a proper Accurate 870 should work.

Bryan Young

Does the pressure plate slide easily on the spool shaft?

How about the spool on the bearings?

Drisse

Will check your other advices. But I don't think it should be a problem. The parts looks ok and are nice and clean. What do you mean with the spool on the bearings ? It freespools nice and easy.

How do you setup the castcontrol on an Accurate ? This reel is used for pirks with the weight 3-600 gram.

alantani

there is a small black plastic retaining clip that has to be removed before you remove the cap.  it you force it, you get this result. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Alan, the castcontrol knob was bent when I got the reel and the "ears" on the plasticclip was jammed down between the sideplate and the knob ??? . So the knob was stuck. Had to rip of the plasticclip. Now the reel is complete with new bearings, new plasticclip on the castcontrol that goes on and off as it should.

But I still don't get the reel to work properly. Any small adjustment on the tension knob is like full strike and you have to force the lever arm.

alantani

that's a function of the cam.  it's typical for these older accurates.  there are no bellevilles to cushion the load as you throw the lever forward, plus the cam has such a big initial jump that you jump to strike as soon as pass that uphill portion of the cam.  there is a big initial jump, then a slow progression after that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!