Accurate Boss Magnum 870 Trouble

Started by Drisse, January 10, 2014, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

I got an Accurate Boss Magnum 870 from a friend. Looks like an impressive reel, but it doesn't work properly. Haven't teared it apart yet. Never opened an Accurate reel before, so thisone will be the first. My first notice is that the lever drag seems all loose, you can push the button up and down way to easy. If you set it on freespool its like the spool is on at least strike. You can't move the spool with your hand. You can crank and it reels like normal. Their cast control ? Should it work like on other reels ? This doesn't seem to move in or out when I try to adjust it.

Any ideas before I even start ?

Thanks in advance !

Robert Janssen

Hmm... if memory serves, there is a hexagonal protrusion extending from the sideplate upon which the opposing component of the cam resides. This can become worn or ruined, rendering the lever and cam inoperable.

Take that with a pinch of salt though, since i don't know for sure and its hard to diagnose without reel or pictures.

Was this privately imported, or is thrre any help to be had from CWC? Stefan, i think his name is?

(on second thought, never mind, considering your earlier reflection on the usefulness of distributors... the best help to be had is probably here...)

Drisse

Thanks for the answer. Don't understand everything you wrote, but I think I can figure out what you mean. Still tries to refresh my old school english wit those technical words :)

I don't know if its an import reel or bought here in Sweden ?. Don't know which the swedish distributor is, but know a couple of stores sells them. Don't think its CWC, (and yes, his name i Stefan ) they have their own reels BFT Black Thunder (Omoto ? ) .

I didn't mean that every distributor is not helpfull, but some of them are not very serviceminded.

Robert Janssen

(...sexkantiga utsticket från gaveln på drivsidan på vilken spaken o det där sitter kan nötas ut och slutar funka, bara.)

Where do you live?

Bryan Young

Try turning the cast control to less. The more "less" the better.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drisse

Hi Robert !

Yes, I did put in some of the words in a translator to get what you mean, so now I understand.
I live a couple of miles outside Helsingborg. And you ? Live in Sweden or Denmark ?

Drisse

Hi Bryan !

I tried to turn the cast control, but it seems like nothing happens ? Isn't the function like on other reels ? When you move it in, you tighten the spool to avoid overrun ? You can't se if thisone goes in or out.

Will open it up tomorrow. I don't know why, but I get respect just looking at it. But it can't be worse than open other reels or..... ? :)

Tried to open up the schematic on Accurates homepage, but it didn't work for me.

Bryan Young

Did you also reduce the drag to less?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Quote from: Drisse on January 11, 2014, 01:46:02 AM
Hi Bryan !

I tried to turn the cast control, but it seems like nothing happens ? Isn't the function like on other reels ? When you move it in, you tighten the spool to avoid overrun ? You can't se if thisone goes in or out.

The cast control on an Accurate isn't like any other reel that I know of. When you tighten the knob it engages the drag slightly to control the spool. If you have it screwed all the way down, that is your problem. Back it off and see what happens.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

The knob is laser etched that says more and less with arrow direction.  Turn it in the less direction until it cannot turn anymore.

Drisse

Ok, Thanks ! Will have a look at it when I get home from work.

Yes Bryan, I had the drag on less. I screwed the cast control towards less many, many times, but can't see that anything happens ? But it feels like it it is something with the castcontrol. I just loosened the right sideplate screws and then I could move the spool with my thumbs. There was drag, but I could move it. If I tighten the sideplate screws its like full drag again even with the drag on less.

I'll post again when I've opened it.

Bryan Young

Other than that, its possible that the pressure plate or two could be froze on the spool shaft by rust.  I've seen that on 3 accurates that I have worked on.

BTW, for those who may think that SS doesn't rust, it does. 

Drisse

Had a look at the reel this evening. Took a wihle to get the cast control of the reel...... The ears on the plastic locking ring was stuck between the cast control screw and reel. Had to rip the plastic ring apart. Got the cast control off and I guess that the screw behind it shouldn't be that far in, since the cast control knob couldn't reach it.

Bryan Young

I thought those screws were long enough it never lose contact with the cover.

Drisse

I don't know how this have hapened ? When I rotated the cast control knob and looked behind the bearing, nothing rotated. When I got the cast control knob off and rotated the cast control screw with a tool, it rotated behind the bearing. When I install the cast control screw again, shall it then align with the hole ? How can I avoid this to happen again ? Need to wait untill I get an plastic clip and mount everything again.

Will clean everything up and se if the reel works nice now.

Need to order the "cast control frame knob clip B-3628". The o-ring also need to be replaced. Will have a look and see if its a standard size or special measure. Have to find out if there's a nordic distributor. If so, can they supply spareparts ?