Triple dog dare ya!!!

Started by BMITCH, January 11, 2014, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Lee brought up a possible fly in the ointment. The spool. I think a thicker dog with an area out of the center to accommodate the spool might work. I'll see!
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

I've been thinking about this for quite some time, mine is more to gain space.
I believe Erik mentioned something similar, but not sure.

You could get 4 to 6 teeth with this one.
Just a thought..... carry on with your project and we'll push this one aside for now ;D.
Now, my only question to you is, do we need a third dog and what will it help with, considering we have 2 stainless steel dogs already, that could be set to engage at the same time or intermittent.
Again, mine above would be so we could gain more room so we could have stainless steel partson all of our older Penns, especially the larger ones.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broschro

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 12, 2014, 03:19:46 PM
I've been thinking about this for quite some time, mine is more to gain space.
I believe Erik mentioned something similar, but not sure.

You could get 4 to 6 teeth with this one.
Just a thought..... carry on with your project and we'll push this one aside for now ;D.
Now, my only question to you is, do we need a third dog and what will it help with, considering we have 2 stainless steel dogs already, that could be set to engage at the same time or intermittent.
Again, mine above would be so we could gain more room so we could have stainless steel partson all of our older Penns, especially the larger ones.
looks Awesome..... Lee!

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on January 12, 2014, 03:01:35 PM
I think a thicker dog with an area out of the center to accommodate the spool might work. I'll see!

Get me a rough sketch and I will have one cut.

Quote from: broschro on January 12, 2014, 03:23:37 PM
looks Awesome..... Lee!

I've been promising to get back to the Penn SS ratchets and dogs but I can look into it after they are done.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Thanks lee. What I think will work would be a dog the same dimensions as the original 113h dog only twice as thick. I'm going to fabricate one out of some brass I have here so that I'm able to cut and shape easily. I also have a used side plate on its way to me so I can start with a clean slate. This may take me a little while. I also need to work and currently I'm fortunate to be really busy.

Sal, I too have been mulling this idea over in my head. Not until I got that side plate back did it occure to me that a third dog could possibly be installed in a alternating style. I like alternating too take up any back play in the handle. Other than adding more teeth to the sleeve(which I believe the boss already exhausted that idea) I see no other way to do this. I know, I know...we already have two dogs in these. I think this would be a neat project. BTW I really like the dog you have sketched out. Simultaneous engagement with that setup would be rock solid.

If any AT members have spare old 113h dogs that they would be willing to part with it would be a great help with this project. I hate to keep cutting and grinding the SS dogs. For me they are just difficult to work with due to my limited amount of tooling here. Please PM me and I will get you my address.

Bob

Keta

Something like two 15-349 dogs (bottom left) might be easier.  The dog on the top left is a 15-349L from my factory left hand 349.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Ya know Sal the more I think of it the more I like your sketched configuration. The teeth on the dogs could be cut anywhere. Simultaneous engagement, alternating or any amount depending on where they are spaced.hmmmmmmm :-\

Irish Jigger

The top ends of these dogs could be extended ,drilled and a small extension spring added to pull them together thus avoiding individual springs.
In simultaneous mode they will however still only be double dogs as the likelihood of simultaneous engagement in more than one place on each dog is highly unlikely unless very high manufacturing tolerances are maintained.

Personally I would stick with two plain dogs which should be more than adequate for this reel.

BMITCH

Tom, I agree. Especially if you look at the teeth spacing on the sleeve. They are not equally the same all the way around. Why do all this ::) BECAUSE WE CAN ;)
Bob

Alto Mare

Tom, You're one of the most knowledgeable person I've talked to and I'm with you on this, two points of contact would be plenty, but lets try not to discourage Bob, unless you're trying to save him some money ;D.
Again, mine would be for gaining room so we won't need to grind the plate for the new stainless steel parts.

With this, we will have the option to have the contact point opposite to one another. As for the spring, we have many options, one would be as you mentioned, the other would be having pins through the bridge plate with slots and have the spring on the opposite side..... just thinking .......
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Chris Gatorfan

Just an idea, what if we were to have a way to reduce length of the jack plate spring as to alow us to sit is a third dog without loosing the integrity of the spring and still being able to switch in an out of gear. Then we could adjust the length of the dogs to allow for three seperate contacts reducing even more handle slop, or three simultanious lock downs.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 12, 2014, 05:22:01 PM
Tom, You're one of the most knowledgeable person I've talked to and I'm with you on this, two points of contact would be plenty, but lets try not to discourage Bob, unless you're trying to save him some money ;D.
Again, mine would be for gaining room so we won't need to grind the plate for the new stainless steel parts.

With this, we will have the option to have the contact point opposite to one another. As for the spring, we have many options, one would be as you mentioned, the other would be having pins through the bridge plate with slots and have the spring on the opposite side..... just thinking .......

The rotating force of the gear sleeve will tend to force the right dog away from the sleeve, the drawing below "cures" that potential problem.  A 10 tooth gear sleeve would make it easier to do too.

Mark Twain

BMITCH

Very impressive Lee. I like the idea of the 10 tooth sleeve also.

Alto Mare

Bob, we're pulling away from your exploration, sorry buddy.
Lee, as I said earlier, I'm interested in gaining room, wouldn't this work? we could make a coil spring as the one on the ss spinners for each dog.

erikpowell

Quote from: Keta on January 12, 2014, 07:38:33 PM

The rotating force of the gear sleeve will tend to force the right dog away from the sleeve, the drawing below "cures" that potential problem.  A 10 tooth gear sleeve would make it easier to do too.

BullsEye!  That's exactly what I had in mind Lee, I don't know if it'd be any more effective, but it would make probably make a pretty cool sound.