Penn 14/0

Started by Tightlines667, January 12, 2014, 06:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Daron,
Finished the first 14/0 up tonight here are sum pics...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

More pics...

I sent you a PM
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Good Work John!
You created a masterpiece there! ;D
Can't wait to get it! :P
I really like that amber Handle and ringed rod clamp. This reel screams Old School! 8)
Money sent brother! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

It's got your favorite spool on it too, in like new condition I might add :)
It'd look even better double-dogged (and maybe someday...w/SS guts).
Put 'er to sum good use.  I'd like to a see a photo of it on the beach next to a 12' Tiger ;-)
Hope springs eternal

Chris Gatorfan

Great work there. She is a beaut.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

erikpowell

That's a beauty!
I'm amazed at some of your guys polishing skills!
or are those new rings & bars?

Shark Hunter

I think the ss sleeves are going to happen from the Boss. If you ever double dog one of these, there is no other sound like it. The dogs are so huge, it sounds very Cool! 8)
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Gosh, that's beautiful.

Tightlines667

For this one I used:

-Engine degreaser for the parts (I actually prefer a marine-metal-specific degreaser found locally)
-Deburred w/000 steel wool/fine brass wire brush and same material on a bench top grinder)
-Chrome parts were coated in Loctite Aluminum Jelly (basically OSPho)
-Polished w/ chrome polish (terry cloth by hand & polishing disc on drill)
-Plastics were polished with 'Mothers Back to Black (terry cloth by hand)
-New bearings were opened, cleaned w/ carb cleaner and air, packed w/ grease (w/bearing packer)
-All internals were greased w/Penn's reel grease (readily avail for cheap here+I like the color)
-New drag stack, w/CF washers greased w/Cal's

Took about 5.5hrs to disassemble, clean, deburr, polish, grease, reassemble, and spool.

I can do a basic service in about an hour, simple cleaning deburring, greasing reassemb in about 2-3hrs...guess it depends on the overall condition of the reel.  My overall average time spent refurbing large reels is about 5 hrs each though.  The only difference to my basic formula for servicing/refurb on large lever drags is to stick w/ Cal's only inside the sealed drag area (recently I've been using it on spool bearings too), and to spend time at the end checking/adjusting (through use of shims/different Bellevilles) the spool & gear alignment, drag plate(s) engagement point, and drag curve.  On some of the smaller reels or those used for live baiting or casting, I lube spool bearings w/ TSI 301 (or ReelX by request).  I've also been experimenting with lubing the internals of the 2 speed mechs w/ Corrosion X HD as opposed to light grease since it seems to allow for smoother shifting.  I'm still learning, and every reel is different.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Awesome John! I think you are on your way to a very profitable future with these Senators. You already have Me and Dominick for references. I usually just use spray engine degreaser and follow up with brake cleaner and Turtle wax chrome Polish. The Loctite Jelly is Trick! I need to get me some. I'm down with the Cal's as well. Good Job Brother! ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Awesome x2 John
Thanks for the ingredients ! 
Though I'll never find any of that good stuff over here  :(
I see so many rough as guts chromed parts here, I've never really considered a better way to clean em besides
a brass brush, steel wool, and kerosene (or corrosionX).
Is it really possible to restore patina'd and pitted bars, rings, and spools with your techniques? Or just the not so bad ones?
If so, I need to go shopping!
Thanks bro.

Shark Hunter

The Chrome polish does wonders Eric. It will take off any saltwater deposits and grime and shine it up nice. If the finish is gone, your just polishing brass. Maybe you could get some with your Dom frame, since its coming from the USA. ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Thanks Daron, I'll have to go root around town soon, I'm almost out of marine grease too.
But I do have some Brasso!
Would that work like "Chromo"  ;D

Tightlines667

Unfortunately, when the chromed finish is corroded through (or if you leave the phosphoric on for a little too long on heavily worn chrome), it leaves bare brass spots showing through.  This is prone to corrosion quickly.  I think there are marine waxes available (specific to chrome) that could be applied regularily to protect the brass, auto wax might work too.  There are chrome paints (w/metal in them) too but I've been hesitant to try these cause I don't think they'll match well.  Wiping your reel down regularily with sum corrosion X will def help with the corrosion too.  I used to replace all corroded chrome rings w/new but that gets pricy quick.  Now I only replace cracked rings.  I might try taking an old handle arm down to bare brass and paint it w/chrome paint sometime. I use a quick vinegar soak to restore brass parts, and diltued phosphoric acid (OsPho) to remove corrosion from SS parts.    A little elbow grease will work wonders on most parts.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

I can send you a care package Erik. Don't you have family here that can help you out? If not, I will do it for you Bro. ;) I am trying to figure out how to send you some Ball Park Franks for some Awesome Chili Dogs! :P
Sometimes I'll spend the better part of a whole day refurbing a reel. You can never polish it or get it clean enough. Especially if its a double dogger and some fitment for a new sleeve and ss yoke. Using different degreasers, cleaners and polishes. The last 9/0 I did, I tighten all the screw gradually on either side when I get it all together. I put my Lithium battery powered driver on the lowest torque setting. than hit them all again with the second lowest. One of the stand screw heads broke off, but part of the head was in the plate. You talk about a PIA. I worked on this one all afternoon! ::)
Life is Good!