Squall 60LD service

Started by erikpowell, January 13, 2014, 02:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hey All,

The boys at the tackle shop were spooling up this brand new Squall and noticed the drag was jerky so they had me take a look.
It was a bit of a rush job, the reel is already out the door, but I did manage to take a few photos.
Not a full tutorial, but enough pics to have a walk through it with ya.
It's a pretty straightforward service, with only a couple tricky parts.

Here's the schematic:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/sql60ld.pdf

and here's the reel

It has a nifty 3 position clicker... off, soft, and loud... (also a nice bait function)

There's no left side plate to remove, only a trim ring under those screws. But make sure you remove & grease it and the screws anyway.
There are 3 different screw types on each side plate of this reel.
2 long stepped machines for the top lug position at 12 o'clock ,
2 short machines for the 3 & 9 o'clock positions
and 1 tad longer coarse thread for the bottom where there is no metal insert.

Moving on to the right side:

Move the drag lever to Freespool position.
Loosen the preset dial (key 144) all the way and remove it.
Next you'll find the 4 tension springs (bellevilles) (key 18) nested like this ()() in the cam follower (key 141)
Remove those pieces along with the drag lever (key 21)
Grease all these parts well with marine grease except for the plastic.

-On graphite & plastic, I use Cal's because it's teflon based as opposed to petro based. we've all heard oils & grease can swell sideplates          right?  so this is the precaution I take against that.
I used to use 3M 303 Protectant, but it's expensive & unobtainable here now to boot.

-Hint..Rub a smudge of Cal's on your old graphite frames and watch that old gray come to shine!  ;)

OK, moving on
open it up by removing the similar to above 5 screws from the right side PLUS and the 2 gear housing screws underneath.

Lift off the right plate.

and here ya go

Look at all that Penn grease!  8) Who'd a thought this reel was made in China.

Now to avoid damaging the 2 ambassador style dogs, remove the 2 screws on the dog Bridge Assembly (key 3)
grasp the spool shaft by the threads and gently lift the entire spool & dog assembly out of the frame as a unit.

now carefully pull the entire dog bridge off of the ratchet...once free, I will careful pinch the tabs together to kinda re-tighten their grip, paying attention
not to alter the slight bend in their tips..
the dogs appear peened on bridge. these parts are an entire assembly.
now set it aside and don't fiddle with it  ;D

You will re-assemble the dog bridge, spool & frame in the same, only reverse manner later.

Here's the inside view of the frame.. well greased already so nothing to do here except to add a little grease to the retracting harness lug.

On to the spool:
The plastic drag cover unscrews in reverse like many others, and the shaft pulls out the left side.
very similar to a TLD spool with the addition of the AR ratchet under the pinion gear.

Here's the beefy drag plate, add some Cal's grease to the bearing cup.
Everything was so well greased i didn't bother to disassemble the pinion guard any further.

And here's the business end.
The Penn DuraDrag...
looking closely you can see the booger where I tried to slip my xacto knife under the drag washer and lift...
Not only was it DRY, but glued down too!  >:(

Slap on a good coat of Cal's grease. Since our washer is glued down, be sure to work some grease down and around the outer and inner edges of the washer to keep water out.
Firmly rub off all the excess grease till the washer looks almost dry again.

Here's the spool shaft as it would sit in the spool.
This reel has excellent freespool even with greased bearings... notice the bearing sleeve (key13b)?
Also notice there's no belleville washers on the spool shaft... I'll show em to you later.

Also note the milled left end of the shaft. no pin!
When you reassemble, you have to mate this shape into the spindle locking plate (key71) in the left side plate

The 3 spool & pressure plate bearings measure 6 x 12 x 4mm.... and they were greased!
Per Alan style, I did not replace the shields, but cleaned & corrosionX'd.

If there's no bellevilles on the shaft, then what's that to the left of the spool bearing you ask??

Now this is unusual...It's an open cage bearing as well... there's 2 of these in this reel. The other sits between the RT side plate and pinion bearing, so it's riding on this shaft also.
Miraculously, the ball bearings stayed on the race.. i tried my best not to disturb either of them, just dropped some corrosionX on.

Re-assemble the spool in the same order and set it aside

On the Rt side plate

Remove the handle lock screw (32), lock plate (110a), handle (24), and gear stud shield (50).

slip the handle back on the stud for a moment for leverage to remove the Main Gear Screw from the other side(23A)..it's lefty loosey btw..

And here's what you get:
Note there's 2 delrin washers... one on either side of the plate for the gear stud.
The inside (faces the side plate) of the main gear is facing UP in this photo.

Again, no shortage of Penn grease here either! None of this is even my grease, all i had to do was spread it around.

Now we can finally get to the pinion bearing.
BTW, the hole in the plate above & left of the bearing... that will accept the taller post of the double dog bridge when you re-assemble  ;)

Hold on.. there's something underneath the pinion bearing...

yep, it's that second open ball & race bearing (key 253) with a top and bottom c/bore thrust washer (252)
I thinned out the grease with corossionX for the two ball & cage bearings

Here's the greased pinion bearing, with the shields off.... BEFORE I packed it the rest of the way and re-sheilded it.
It measures 9 x 17 x 5mm

OK, easily re-install the bearings and main gear & shaft in reverse order
Then re-install the handle bits again in reverse order,
and we're done here..

Now let's put it back together

Carefully align and place the ears of the silent dogs with their bridge assembly over the AR ratchet as shown here:

Pick up the whole shebang by the spool shaft threads again
and gently lower it back into the upright frame... Aligning the dog bridge with it's screw holes and indent in the frame.

holding & guiding the spool through the frame with your other hand, slowly twist the shaft back and forth until it lines up and SITS down inside the
spindle locking plate (key71) at the bottom of the frame.

When it drops in, you can re-attach the dog bridge screws,
and you're back to this

Place the re-assembled right side plate back over the frame...turn the handle ever so slightly FORWARD direction till the plate seats down properly.
Now before you go any further, holding it all together firmly give the handle a few EASY turns, then check the anti-reverse it catching.
If it does.. screw it down before it gets away!  ;D

...I had to do this 3 times (i finally tightened up the "bite" of the dogs a little more) before I got the anti-reverse to catch.

Go ahead and re-install your greased trim ring and all 7 screws

Then go ahead and install the drag lever, followed by the cam follower ( make sure it nests down into the cam grooves in the lever, sits flat,
and doesn't wobble in place.
Now drop the 4 greased bellevilles back in like this () ()

and it should sit nice and flush with the top of the cam follower
now put a bead of grease on those exposed threads AND the entire surface of the Preset Knob
and screw the knob back down.
Adjust your preset knob to your desired setting!

;) ALWAYS remember (and make sure others know too!) to make dial adjustments with the lever in Freespool only.
Never adjust the dial with the reel in gear.

Since this was kind of a "now now" thing ( Jeri  ;D)
I didn't have time to play around and get drag figures. It went right out the door again.
But it went out with a butter smooth drag. Problem solved. Cal's.
Overall a pretty simple reel to service and somewhat impressive.
But in my opinion the A/R system is a little suspect... remember why we upgraded those Trinidad dogs?

and although Penn says this about the reel: (in Sal's color)  ;D
5+1 Shielded stainless steel bearing system
Instant anti-reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet
 .... huh ???

If indeed there is an A/R bearing.... I somehow missed it.   :D

Well, I used up all my photos... and the rest of the day, so I think it's time for a Fiji Bitter !!

Have at it gents !

Cheers

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

jg125

Nice job I was looking to get one of them 60's for chunking tuna but I am having 2nd thoughts looking at them baitcaster dogs whats your thoughts.

erikpowell

Hang on I'm not done yet  ;D ;D ;D
I hit the Post button by mistake !  Doh  ;D

jg125

looking forward to your results

Bryan Young

Looks like I could spring load one of the dogs if not both. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Finished !!
Ok, have at it guys !

Bryan, after I get a beer, I was going look into that!
You hit the nail buddy..that's what needs more than anything!

... Correction...
Make that a Fiji Gold  ;D