Penn 712Z binding issue

Started by ScowardNJ, December 18, 2013, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScowardNJ

I'm trying to get an old Penn 712Z back in action. The crosswind arm is binding up on the crosswind roller on the maingear at the top of the turn (when the crosswind arm reaches the closest location to the spool side of the main gear rotation). The screw and the crosswind roller look straight and aligned on the maingear.  Also, the screw that holds the crosswind arm to the spool shaft isn't perfectly accessible. When I remove the screw, the head hits the edge housing when I back it out.

This is my only 712 so I have nothing to compare it to so would anyone know

Should the crosswind screw that holds the crosswind arm onto the spool shaft be able to back out without interfering with the housing body? Do you guys think I have a tweaked Crosswind arm? Anything else I cold look for?

Thanks!
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

johndtuttle

I am no reel expert, especially on these older Penns so the best I can do for you is send you to Stripers Online and go to the Penn forum there. There the actual Penn Service Manager will answer your post about any service question you can imagine (though photos are often helpful).

best

ScowardNJ

Sorry for the late response on this but i fixed it. The original crosswind arm was tweaked so I replaced it and now the reel turns perfect. The bail doesn't flip closed consistently but i understand that may be due to a slight bend in the arm. I'll get her back to snuff sooner or later.
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

handi2

Quote from: ScowardNJ on January 29, 2014, 08:49:12 PM
Sorry for the late response on this but i fixed it. The original crosswind arm was tweaked so I replaced it and now the reel turns perfect. The bail doesn't flip closed consistently but i understand that may be due to a slight bend in the arm. I'll get her back to snuff sooner or later.

Any of the Penn 700 series reels the bail wire has to be bent just right so it fits perfect and lines up perfect at the attachment point or it will never flip hard shut. Just keep working with it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL