9/0 vs 900h

Started by Topshot, January 14, 2014, 06:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

So I finally have my rod that I'm going to be building. But now I have to decide between a penn 9/0 and a daiwa 900h. I have been talking with shark hunter and he has me leaning towards the 9/0. I really love the penns as they are time tested and parts are readily available. Buy I also like the 900h because of its factory upgrades like the one piece frame and aluminum side plates and spool. As I know they both put out roughly the same drag #s. Any advice on why I should take one over the other
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Dynamo

Otherwise standard w. Mr. Tani's drag kit, the Daiwa is superior because of the solid frame. The Penn frame will warp and twist w. heavy drag. If you upgraded the frame on the 9/0 and the drag, I'd get the Penn.  ;)

Ron Jones

If you upgraded everything to where the features are the same, then it would really be personal choice. I do feel that there is more you can do with the Penn but in all honesty both will be great reels.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Quote from: noyb72 on January 14, 2014, 06:54:20 PM
If you upgraded everything to where the features are the same, then it would really be personal choice. I do feel that there is more you can do with the Penn but in all honesty both will be great reels.
Ron
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                     This

Topshot

Decided on the 9/0. Just got one on ebay for $75 with aluminum spool
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Dynamo

Great deal. At that price you can't go wrong.

alantani

the 9/0 senator has the advantage of the stainless steel gear sleeve.  the 900h has the advantage of aluminum frame.   between the two, the gear sleeve is likely the more important feature.  the bar frame on the 9/0 is not great, but it's good enough.  under equally high pressures, i think the gear sleeve on the sealine 900h will fail before the frame on the senator 9/0.  but i'd bet that the chance of seeing either one fail would be very low.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Topshot

We'll I ended up buying a 9/0 on ebay for $75 and I bought a 900h from a guy on a different site for $50 shipped. I did buy 2 9/0s on ebay but the seller contacted me and told me they had dropped the reel while packaging and broke the sideplate so he refunded my money. But I have a 9/0 and a 900h to play with now. So I'm a happy camper  ;D
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Well, I guess I can't comment on this, since you bought both. ;)
You know what I think! ;D
Life is Good!

Topshot

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 15, 2014, 09:20:45 PM
Well, I guess I can't comment on this, since you bought both. ;)
You know what I think! ;D

I almost cried a just second ago! That's one beautiful collection bud
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

That's only half of them! ;D
Life is Good!

Topshot

I'll take one of those 12/0s you got laying around if don't mind =p
Michael Baughman

Tightlines667

Looks like you've got alot of pliths to make there :)
Any word on whether your new addition to the family has arrived yet?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

No, not yet John. Its somewhere between Honolulu and Kentucky. :)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Let me know when it arrives.  I'm waiting on a 114hlw w/full alum frame from NC right now myself. Paid $114 w/shipping.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.