First teardown success

Started by OShaughnessy, March 20, 2014, 03:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OShaughnessy

Komrades:

Happy to report that I just completed my first complete teardown and rebuild of a couple reels.  For some reason I decided to start with the spinners (Pflueger President/Shimano Symetre), and CRAP there are a ton of parts. :o

For the plastic components, I used a 3-part degreasing process that might have been overkill.  Spray-down w/ WD-40 followed by soak in straight Simple Green followed by soak in Dawn dish detergent, with toothbrush scrubbing at each step.  Time-consuming, but parts came out squeaky clean.

For the metal stuff, I picked up a few glass candle holders (tea lights) at Walmart and did a chlorinated Brakleen soak.  Using smooth-jawed needle-nose pliers for the outer races of the bearings and a dental pick for the inner races, I spun them in the Brakleen to dislodge the old grease.  I didn't want to blast them and deal with overspray, so this method seems to work well as a substitute.

All parts blown dry with compressed air.

I hit a snag when a tiny ARB clutch spring went flying across the room, which necessitated a parts order.  C'est la vie.

Yamaha marine grease (blue) and Reel-X on the reassembly, and both reels seem better and smoother than before, which of course is the objective.

I was very meticulous with this project, perhaps a little too much so.  The Shimano is probably 6 years old, the Pflueger 3, and both have been used in fresh and saltwater, but they were in remarkably good condition.  No corrosion to speak of, I just hose them down with fresh water after each use in the salt.  So a complete teardown really wasn't necessary.  I was mainly doing it to learn the process, and I'm glad I did, as I feel much more confident now moving onto the less-complicated conventionals.

Obviously a clean work area and reel schematics are essential, but laying out the parts in groups, taking detailed notes (including writing on the work surface next to the parts), and taking a zillion photos can certainly minimize your frustration.

Thanks to all you awesome folks on here who have been so generous with your time and your tips--  I would not have been inspired to tackle this stuff without your insights.

And now I retire to the powder room to get this grease off my nose.

Regards,

O'Shaugh

DaBigOno

Congratulations!!

Sometimes the hardest part is just overcoming the fear of not being able to put it back together.  Once you overcome it, it seems so much easier.

I like to take pictures of how it supposed to look, before disassembling.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: OShaughnessy on March 20, 2014, 03:41:42 PM
I was mainly doing it to learn the process, and I'm glad I did, as I feel much more confident now moving onto the less-complicated conventionals.  

i know that feeling and welcome to the "CONFIDENT CLUB"... :D :) ;D

Dominick

Quote from: OShaughnessy on March 20, 2014, 03:41:42 PM

And now I retire to the powder room to get this grease off my nose.

Regards, O'Shaugh
O'Shaughnessy:  Reel men do not use a powder room.  We use the degreasing room.   ;D  ;D Good job.  Some of us are as meticulous as you described.  Good luck on your next projects. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Good Job O'Shaugh!  ;D
Next time we expect pictures. ;)
Life is Good!