Penn 12H International Help

Started by ScowardNJ, January 15, 2014, 03:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScowardNJ

I came across an old 12H International that i am trying to clean up. The grease inside the body was like toothpaste so I'm stripping it down, cleaning, regreasing, and putting it all back together. I hit a snag trying to get the main gear off the stud. The main gear sits in a machined overhang of the side plate so I think i need to somehow pull the gear off the stud from inside the side plate. Any suggestions on how to do this? I tried putting the handle side of the shaft in a vise and pulling/prying the gear off using towels and wood as protection between the parts but i didn't want to start muscling it without first looking for advice. Here are a few pics of my dilemma.

The length of the stud does not allow the whole assembly to slide out. There is also a ratchet gear under the main gear that makes it difficult to pull the stud out from the outside of the side plate.

Thanks!
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

Shark Hunter

Here is the Schematic for it. wish I could be more help.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/12h.pdf
Here is the main gear stud, it seems to me it would have to slide out to get that gear out of there.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/134-12H.aspx
I don't see any threads on either end.
Maybe back out that screw that was in there a couple turns and give it a slight love tap.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I have not serviced this particular reel, but I would recommend trying the following...
-Remove 2-bridge screws (16-6)
-Remove rachet dog bridge (3-6)
-Remove dog rachet (15-6)
-Spray/cost or soak main gear/shaft mating w/ 50:50 ATF (automatic transmission fluid):acetone mixture, Kroil or some other penetrating oil
-assuming your main gear stud (134-12h) is not frozen within the gear stud housing (125-6)...push the stud from the outside of plate until it is all the way against the outter lip of the inner side plate
*If it is frozen use penetrating oil, and a few persuasive taps to the outter side of gear stud to free it.  I prefer to use wood and a rubber mallet.   If still won't budge try heating the gear stud housing w/Hot tsp water first or as a last resort, carefully heat w/a torch to break it free.
-Place a wood shim under main gear (between it and plate)
-Find a wood dowel or similar of the same diameter of the inner side of the gear stud, and use it along w/the oil, water, and/or heat to break the main gear free from the stud (by taping in the inner gear stud w/the gear supported by a shim.  You may have to repeat until you can completly seperate the stud from the gear.  Once seperated, it should tilt/slide out.  Hope this helps.  Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ScowardNJ

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was hoping to leave the ratchet dog assembly in place until i can get the main gear off. I don't think anything is frozen, the inside was very clean, drag washer looks I'll start with some penetrating oil and "a few persuasive taps". I'm pretty new at all this tinkering but its getting me through this north east winter.
I'll report back.

Thanks guys!
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

Dominick

I'm going out on a limb here.  Your photo shows a flat side to the place where the screw was removed.  Try a pair of needle nose pliers in the flat spot and try to turn out the flattened nut.  It might be a double threaded nut (for a lack of what to call it). 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

If I recally, the gear should just pop off the shaft.  Again, if I recall, they use a similar connection from the shaft to the handle arm. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Dominick on January 15, 2014, 06:28:55 PM
I'm going out on a limb here.  Your photo shows a flat side to the place where the screw was removed.  Try a pair of needle nose pliers in the flat spot and try to turn out the flattened nut.  It might be a double threaded nut (for a lack of what to call it). 

My other thought is to put the handle back on and use something to wedge the gear and turn the handle backwards. 

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ScowardNJ

I got it guys. I put the handle back on, hit the stud with some PB Blaster. I put a wooden dowel through the hole where the drag preset knob goes and pushed/worked the gear off while turning the handle. Easy job I was to green to figure out on my own. Thanks for all your help!

Scott
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

Shark Hunter

Glad you got it! That's a pretty rare reel. I couldn't find much info on it.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I'm glad it worked out for you.  I realized I had forgot to mention that turning the handle (torsional force) is usually more effective at freeing up gear studs. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ScowardNJ

All back together and smooth az butta....

The drag lever button assembly is missing from the reel. Scott's B&T had all the parts in stock. This little classic will hopefully be good to go in the near future.

Thanks again guys!

Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

Bryan Young

Glad you got it apart, cleaned, and back together. 

Did the reel have Penn's Dura Drag installed?  If not, you may want to order one if available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ScowardNJ

It had the original drag washer in it. This reel was barely used judging by the inside. The drag washer had barely any wear. I degreased the whole thing. Dried it, buttered some Cal's on it and it feels nice and smooth.
Yakkin the Fresh
Boatin the Salt

Dominick

Quote from: ScowardNJ on January 16, 2014, 02:24:03 PM
All back together and smooth az butta....

I love that New Joisey accent.   ;D