Angular contact bearing upgrade for Preywinder/Omoto (Avet clone) leverdrag reel

Started by Vabein, January 15, 2014, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan.han

Quote from: limitdown on January 31, 2014, 02:24:20 PM
The inner ring on all AC bearings I have are symmetrical.
The inner flange of the outer ring takes the axial load (side pressure). This is the side that you put facing away from the reel. ie flange to the right of the pinion.

First off, the SKF ACB is NOT a true angular contact bearing if it has a symmetrically shaped inner race.

Since the load is applied by the spool and pinion gear which is inserted into the inner race of the pinion bearing, you actually will need an extended flange. This is why there is the same characteristic binding issue as with a standard radial bearing. The only thing that is the same with the SKF ACBs is the inner race, in that it is still symmetrical. Form=function. Without an increase in contact area in respect to the inner race, the pressure distribution to the balls is unchanged given the same surface area. Since the surface area has no change, the result is unnoticeable.

The cutaway of a true ACB bearing is shown below:

If you placed a true ACB in an Avet, the pinion bearing issue might be a thing of the past. However, it all depends on the quality, tolerance, mating of balls to race surfaces, etc. Now, if I just had more time to actually tinker with this stuff... Deciding to become a commercial fisherman has hindered my tinkering time.

raw instinct

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonathan.han

I can't poke my head on this forum without staying up longer than I want to. Luckily, the captain called and we shove off at 4:30am
raw instinct