Anyone try Liquid Wrench marine grease?

Started by Marlinmate, January 16, 2014, 03:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

there is one commonly available light blue grease that feels more like glue than grease.  let's hope that this is not the same. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Marlinmate

Well..my local Lowes Home Center had some for sale....I opened the lid and it was red in color...and not too goopy....more smooth and creamy.  Once my current stash is used up....I'm going to give it a try

alantani

Calusa

Quote from: alantani on January 16, 2014, 05:07:55 AM
there is one commonly available light blue grease that feels more like glue than grease.  let's hope that this is not the same. 

Alan, today I shopped for some of that Yamaha blue grease but couldn't find it right away. So I bought a small jar of Penn Precision Ree' Grease (blue), and used it to complete the tear-down, cleaning and lubricating of an old Shimano. Any opinion of this grease? I also used Corrsion-X and Reel-X on the reel.

Also, a question about lubricating bearings. I'm a little confused as to which bearings get oiled and which get grease. Could you explain that one more time? Thanks - this forum is great!

Calusa

alantani

the penn grease is fine.  actually, it's pretty good stuff!  for bearings, if you need freespool, the spool bearings on conventional reels will have to be cleaned and oiled.  i like to pack all other bearings with grease.  oh, and welcome!!!! 

Shark Hunter

I only use the Penn Grease. It is the Bomb! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

I have a tub of Penn grease and have used it my whole life. It hasn't let me down yet.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

toofast1

So, after all those suggestions, HAS anyone used the red Liquid Wrench marine grease in their reels? Thoughts?
IT's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

RWS

In the past I have used Yamaha BLUE grease and it was the best, cost and performance, but now Yamaha has change the color of the new grease to RED so I got a case and HATE IT !!!!!!!
The grease is nice and smooth and sticks well to the gears but when it comes in contact with water it turns to a brown rust color, nasty !!!!!!!
Can't tell if the bearings are rusted or not.
So I got some Liquid Wrench Marine Grease, it is red in color a solid red, very cheap, and is very smooth and sticks well to the gears and bearings, and it does not turn to brown when it gets wet. So far I like it alot.

Tightlines667

If you are using your reels in a marine environment, I would stick to using a 'marinized' product.   Trailer bearing greased are typically such, but often times very thick/high viscosity.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.