Trinidad a series - Noisy spool bearings

Started by Joe Mc, January 16, 2014, 06:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Mc

Hi all. I have a Trinidad 16A which I have owned for approx 2.5 years from new.

I serviced it over the weekend and following the service I noticed that the spool bearings are rather noisy (sounds like a skate board bearing whirl). Still reasonable free spool.... Just a notable noise. Because these are shielded I didn't use any degreaser as to not leave any inside, just lubed with corrosion x. I am wondering if I should perhaps be removing one of the shields, cleaning, spraying with air and re-luring.

Just hoping I could get some advice here from those more qualified than I on how I should proceed.

alantani

chances are that the bearings are toast.  measure them up, order new ones from smoothdrag.com and you should be good. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joe Mc

Toast aye! I thought that might be the case. I can't believe these 'ARB' bearings would give up after only 2.5 years. I've treated this reel with lots of love so it's a big let down.

Anyway rant over.... thank Alan and i'll fire an e-mail off to Dawn.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Joe Mc on January 17, 2014, 01:46:56 AM
Toast aye! I thought that might be the case. I can't believe these 'ARB' bearings would give up after only 2.5 years. I've treated this reel with lots of love so it's a big let down.

Anyway rant over.... thank Alan and i'll fire an e-mail off to Dawn.

ARB is Shimano Marketing Speak for "we charged you more" :D but until we see their data comparing traditionally shielded bearings (not good) to theirs (better? who knows) we have no idea what the cost to benefit really is.

Pretty sure the trinis are still made in Japan with all Japan componentry but everything is susceptible to salt.

best regards

Joe Mc

Cheers john.

Understand your comments around salt. I'm still pretty annoyed that these have died so quickly. I have a good few Shimano reels and I have by far looked after this Trinidad better than any of them, and I like to think I take good care of the rest.

Compared to my other Shimano reels, some without ARB bearings, the bearings in my Trinidad have performed the worst. I am still a big Shimano fan...... But probably just a little less than I was a few days ago.

johndtuttle

I'm a big Shimano fan too (actually, pretty much a fan of most of the big names, they all are trying to outdo each other).

Shimano however is not immune to batch issues (some of the Made in Japan parts have been defective over the years with coating problems) nor an individual reel to bad luck (ie somehow salt got where you have never seen it before).

When in doubt I always send the reel to Shimano. If there is the slightest inkling that there is a quality control issue they generally replace the parts for free. Especially on the higher end stuff. I just call and treat them respectfully and they usually bend over backwards to get you what they can. The cost of those bearings is generally nothing to them as compared to a thread on the web detailing their failure and the spread of negative publicity.

I would pull the shields and post pictures in this thread. If they failed and shouldn't have it may be revealing and you may do other Shimano users a favor as well as have photos to discuss with their customer service if they call etc.

best

Joe Mc

Again good advice. I will let you know how I get on with Shimano. I am in New Zealand and here we have to deal through the retailer I.e. Not with Shimano directly.

Following this I'll pull apart and post some photos.

Joe Mc

Just an update here. I sent my reel away to Shimano (via the dealer I purchased it from) and they have replaced the spool bearings under warranty so top marks to Shimano NZ for standing by their product.

Unfortunately customer service in NZ is usually no where near as good as in the USA so I am very impressed with how Shimano have looked after me.