New Pet Project 12/0

Started by saltydog, January 16, 2014, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Well for the cleanup I cleaned everything in heavy Dawn dish liquid and warm water, let it soak for thirty minutes and use a soft toothbrush with more dawn. Elbow grease, then I put everything into a plastic container to soak in orange degreaser for ten minutes then scrub again with toothbrush and warm water. Hand dry everything and blow out with compressed air to finish.

On the side plates I also use corrosion x and a soft cloth to get them back to shiny again, sometimes with sun and wear damage you have to let the corrosion x sit on the plate for a while to let it do it's work. You will probably will go thru a couple rags. To help keep side plates in good shape and the reel in general it doesn't hurt to wipe the entire reel down in this way after every trip.

The inside parts I use metal polish and a dremel tool to polish to a high sheen, a step you really don't have to do but I do it. Do not use a dremel tool on the side plates! Some people do it differently but I prefer to use chemicals that are softer to not only the reel but to me too. I do a lot of my work in the house still so chemical smell is not gonna work.

Hope this helps.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur