Penn Recommendation

Started by kbamhi, January 16, 2014, 10:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Probably Jvariance.

There's this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-tiburon-/271353258971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2dea23db

A bit pricey...

If you have changed your mind and are going with right-handed and conventional, a Daiwa 600H with Bryan Young's 5+1 kit and a new handle grip may be your most bang-4-ur-buck for full aluminum reel.

There's this one from gstours if you want one already done:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9107.0

Shark Hunter

The HLW's I'm talking about come stock with a full aluminum frame. Here is a full and a half Aluminum frame 114 HLW.

The full frame has a plate that can be reversed for lefties. Not sure what this entails.
I also just picked up a 114 Black that has a factory full aluminum frame. I didn't know there was such an Animal. This will be perfect for one of Lee's inserts and a Hex Drag setup. ;)
Life is Good!

Taily

Quote from: kbamhi on January 17, 2014, 07:36:38 PM
By the way, I am right handed but reel with my left.  I started out that way on purpose and have been doing it for 40 years now and can't do it any other way now. It never made sense to me why folks would cast with their right then switch the rod to the left.  I cast with my right, reel with my left.

Welcome friend.

That is all well and good for spinning reels but there are many of us who fish (and cast with) large overheads as well. There are not many brands of overhead that are available in LH retrieve either, so if you fish both you'll be severely limiting your fishing. Besides, if you cast properly with both hands (left hand remains on the butt of the rod, right hand is the pivot point, the line release and also releases the rod after the release) then there is none of this BS (as espoused by supposed tv fishing "gurus" the world over) of needing to "change hands" to cast then fish as you are already holding the rod in your left hand!

Please don't take it personally, there is no right and wrong way of chucking lead and lures around as long as it works and is comfortable for the angler.

Nunc est bibendum....

Ron Jones

I normally hold the rod in front of the reel, I really can't see how you couldn't do that and lay line flat on the spool. So your changing hands anyways. It just depends on what is comfortable and most productive to the fisherman.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LucasGeneau

I cant buy because it doesnt ships to argentina   :-X

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

You are a bad influence Dwight. ;D
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Big Boys and Toys, Ain't it fun. ;D

That is a low price on that too.

Chris Gatorfan

Quote from: saltydog on January 17, 2014, 09:30:45 PM
Big hands make it easier.

Chris Salty is right, if you have realy big hands it is easier to cast a 6/0. however most of us dont have huge hands which leaves us with the factor of having less control of the pressure we can place on the spool while trying to cast the 6/0 because it is so much larger than the 4/0. the 4/0 is about as big as the average person can get in a reel to get consistant casting distance.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

kbamhi

I don't have big hands and I have been cranking left handed for 45 years.  I don't even want to think about changing now.  I am going to keep a look out for an older left handed US made 4/0

Thanks for all the input guys.

Caranx

It's so funny, I've been fishing for 45 years also. 
From ultra light freshwater to deep sea trolling.
I'm a "righty".
I have an awkward time cranking a spinner with my right hand, and I definitely can't crank a conventional with my left!!!. lol

It's hard to teach an old salty-dawg on how to crank a new reel....