Penn Recommendation

Started by kbamhi, January 16, 2014, 10:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbamhi

I would like one more reel ( likely huh ? )  I am thinking a GT, Squall, or Fathom.  I would like it to relatively high capacity, and it would be used for shark fishing from the sand and perhaps perform double duty on a bait rod pin rigging from the end of the pier.  Thing is, I have to have left hand and I would prefer level wind and star drag.  Anyone have educated suggestions ?

Thanking you in advance.  K

George4741

K, when you say "left hand" do you mean retrieve line with your left hand?
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

114H, That's the biggest senator I know of that is available left handed. For Sharkin, bigger is better in my mind. ;)
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

There is a 115LLH, but they are hard to come by. The 114 is more readily available though. Either of these 2 reel would give you a better line capacity for land based sharking IMO.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

kbamhi

Yes George, left side retrieve handle.  I didn't think any of the Senetors came with level wind.

Porthos

Level wind AND left-handed are going to severely limit your options. If buying new, it appears you are currently limited to two Penns:

1. Squall SQL30LWLH (the biigger of the two)
2. Fathom FTH25LWLH (the smaller of the two)

The Squall is probably your best bet though you may be forced to spool with braid to get the capacity you might need, and even then it's still may be a big "?" if you really have what's need for land-based sharking (assuming you are after the big ones).

If you are willing to forego the left-handed requirement, then the Fathom FTH40LW and FTH60LW become available with the FTH60LW being the better choice.

Forgoing the other way, left-handed BUT no level wind gets you a new Senator 113H2LH.

The 114 and 115 lefties are probably going to cost you in time and maybe $$$...there are NONE currently on eBay, which is a fair indicator of limited availability.

Shark Hunter

114H lefties are not that uncommon. If you are going for Sharks, I would go this route.
This reel is a Beast, and the Hop ups are pretty much limitless. I have four 114 HLW, wides with full aluminum frames. Stainless Hex gears in two of them that are capable of 55lbs of drag. ;)
Life is Good!

kbamhi

I am learing why I don't want level wind.  If a hard pull breaks the level wind, the line piles up until the reel jambs.  Soooo, I am looking at a 4/0 or 6/0.  I'm pretty sure you can cast a 4/0, can you cast a 6/0 ?

kbamhi

By the way, I am right handed but reel with my left.  I started out that way on purpose and have been doing it for 40 years now and can't do it any other way now. It never made sense to me why folks would cast with their right then switch the rod to the left.  I cast with my right, reel with my left.

saltydog

Yes you can cast a 6/0 but it takes practice. You can even cast a 9/0 if you practice.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Chris Gatorfan

A 6/0 can be casted, but the level of difficulty is high. if looking for castability go with the 4/0. Bet bet for the land based sharking from the beach is to get a Kayak or a friend with one and paddle your bait out then come back in and play the waiting game. That is how we do it here in the panhandle of Florida and we get plenty of fish on the bank every week.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Tightlines667

On a somewhat unrelated note...
Why are 6/0s so difficult to cast?  or
Why are 4/0s favored over 6/0s for shore casting?
Lighter weight?
Reel stand clamp set up of 4/0 allows reel mounting closer to pole?
Weight and shape of spool?
I have very little experience shore casting, but have been told a 'squared' spool depth vs. width being more equal leads to greater consistency w/ regards to increased free spool times, speed of spool etc.  if this is of primary importance, might a 6/0 w/a lightweight squared alum spool actually cast better then the 4/0 wide model?  (ESP. If the reel is lightened/strengthened w/a topless alum frame, that has a lower profile rod seat/clamp assembly)

I guess I'm having trouble understanding why with all of the upgrades available/possible w/ 6/0s, why they are not typically considered to cast as well as 4/0s?

Maybe I'm missing something do to my lack of experience.

Sorry if I'm 'thread jacking', guess this topic might be best served on a new thread. 

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

For me it is a physical limitation. My thumbs are to short to reach around a 6/0. I am really most comfortable with a 3/0 because it fits my hand so well.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

kbamhi

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 17, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
114H lefties are not that uncommon. If you are going for Sharks, I would go this route.
This reel is a Beast, and the Hop ups are pretty much limitless. I have four 114 HLW, wides with full aluminum frames. Stainless Hex gears in two of them that are capable of 55lbs of drag. ;)

Where do you get full aluminum frames for a Penn ? I recall some company making side plates and frames years ago but I thought they went out of business.

No problem tight lines.  You brought up a good point.

Thanks for all the input guys.