HELP! First time tearing down Avet MXL

Started by OShaughnessy, January 16, 2014, 11:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OShaughnessy

Hi guys,

I'm tearing down my single speed MXL MC (late model, circa 2013) in the interest of adding grease if needed and cleaning/oiling the spool bearings to speed up the spool.

Are the 2 spool bearings the only ones that take oil?   (yellow Rocket Fuel...  might be too fast but we'll see)

Are all of the other bearings greased?

Should I put any oil on the spool shaft or in between the spool shaft and the spool tube?  How about between the spool tube and the spool itself?  Between the outer bearing surfaces and the spool (where the spool ends rest on the bearings)?

Put another way:  What gets oiled and what gets greased?

Is there an easy way to tell whether a bearing is sealed or open?  The spool bearings (big on left, smaller on right) do not appear to have a colored shield, but I can't see the ball bearings either--  does this mean they're closed?  The brake bearing has what looks like a blue shield.  Some folks on here have suggested opening up all the bearings so that water can drain out.  An open bearing will hold grease (and oil) okay, right?  If anyone could shed some light on what an open bearing looks like vs a closed bearing, what should be open, and how to do it without damaging anything, I'd appreciate it.  Or direct me to the right post on this forum for the Avet MXL.

Finally, what kind of solvent should I use (lighter fluid, Brakleen, etc.) to soak the bearings, and what kind of paper or cloth towel should I use for cleaning/drying so I don't get fibres or fuzz anywhere? 

Thanks!

O'Shaugh     

alantani

glad we got you through the spam filter.  in general, add cal's grease to the drag washer.  your drag washer should be glued down, so just slather grease on top and around the edges, then wipe off all the excess.  open and oil the spool bearings.  pack the non-spool bearings with grease.  take an old toothbrush and brush in a light coat of grease on all the non-exposed metal surfaces.  keep us posted on your progress.  and welcome to the dark side. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Are the 2 spool bearings the only ones that take oil? 

That's how I do it

Are all of the other bearings greased?

Yes

Should I put any oil on the spool shaft or in between the spool shaft and the spool tube? 

No.

How about between the spool tube and the spool itself? 

No.

Between the outer bearing surfaces and the spool (where the spool ends rest on the bearings)?

No.

Is there an easy way to tell whether a bearing is sealed or open? 

Yes, on Avet bearings the shields is blue plastic, some shields are metal. 

The spool bearings (big on left, smaller on right) do not appear to have a colored shield, but I can't see the ball bearings either--  does this mean they're closed? 

Hard to say with out seeing the bearing.

An open bearing will hold grease (and oil) okay, right? 

Grease yes, oil not so well, put the shields back on.

what kind of solvent should I use

I use 90% rubbing alcohol or kerosene depending on how thick the crud is.

what kind of paper or cloth towel should I use for cleaning/drying

I use paper towel or blue shop towels I get in the automotive department.  Sometimes I use blue cloth towels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brendan

What they said, set drag whith in specs and you will have zero problems. You may also want to service any braid line, IE don't leave it on the spool for years.
Tight lines, Brendan.

OShaughnessy

Thanks very much guys, I'll keep you posted.

O'Shaugh