Clutch not working after reassembly - newbie

Started by jaybo, January 17, 2014, 05:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybo

I am beginning to work on my baitcasting reels and have done okay until now.  I have disassembled and cleaned an AG Black Max but upon reassembly the clutch doesn't work. No parts have been lost that I know of and I have assembled it with the clutch bar up and also down but it won't release by cranking either way.  There is a black stud on the frame near the top end of the yoke that looks like it should fit a part but I can't find that part (if it exists) on the schematic.  Is there a part I'm missing that is supposed to engage the anti-reverse ratchet?  Am I doing something wrong in reassembly?  Your help would be much appreciated by this newbie.  :)

alantani

on some reels, the thumb bar has a pin that can get pushed in too far.  if that happens, the bar will not engage the lever arm and the the reel will not go into freespool.  with a pair of wire cutters, grab the pin and pull it out a little and it should work.

um, that is, IF that is the problem.......    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Hello. What's the part number for that black stud on the frame you refer to.

As Guru AT indicates above, the thumb bar pin sometimes can be the culprit.

With the trans side off the reel, does it go back and forth cast to reel when using a small screwdriver to pretend it's the thumb bar? If yes, try leaving the reel in cast mode before you install the trans side on the frame.
It may be, that the thumb bar pin needs the reel to be in cast mode first.

If time is of the essence, you could call the plant at 1-800-abugarcia, and request their help. Best to know your drawing before you call. On request, they will send you a .pdf e-copy for your records.  The BM is a bass reel, and as such not sold in my market. I have only seen one once, on a combo at a flea market, making me as much of a noob as you !! ;D

You also may have more expediant luck at Gerry's Bass Board... there's a really great crew posting there.
Nice folks. http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/rods_reels/index.html

jaybo

Thanks for the advice.  The thumb bar does release into free spool...but that's where it stays.  The clutch doesn't engage when I start reeling and the thumb bar stays down.  Any further ideas?

The black stud is a molded part of the frame itself.  It's located close to the end of the yoke.

alantani

Ken_D

What are numbers on the frame reel foot?

alantani

there is a ratchet gear (#32).  any chance it is on backwards?