WHATS UP GUYS??????

Started by LTM, January 17, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Ok Mr. You Guys,

I just finished commenting to a post in the Senator section from a "new guy" who wanted to know "whats a tank and were did it come from?" Being a gentleman with gobs of perspicasity (cant spell though) I took concern for the blokes/lads and offered bushels of insight for them to sort-out/marinate in.

Anywho, I told them if the tank confuses them to stay the hellp away from here cause you guys "MUST BE ON SOMETHING" using the phrases and words that you do. As I stated in the post to the new guys about tanks; if you were to tell me that you were going to "serve" me up, and "wind-me-one" and THEN "loop-to-loop" ME!!!! ???  You wouldnt get a chance to do one of the three things to me BEFORE the FIGHT breaks out.

Im not new to fishing guys, been around for decades. Im not a knot guru AT ALL. However, I attempt to look-up alot of mutually-exclusive information to try to DIGEST  this info presented here on the topic/methodologies of using braided line.  I cant help but notice that the "sticky posts" are very few in this section and "setting up your reel". I find myself doing long/exhaustive searches to weed-out bad info to get to the good stuff, then come back to the topic at hand. No, I dont mind researching information, just wondering if maybe a library/reference post would help as far as a "knowledge repository" for braided line, knots, terminology and definitions.....  I dont know, something that would allow us to spend more time here or if redirected away not for indefinite time periods. I want to understand and contribute and use this expensive product correctly with knowledge and facts than anything else.

Thanx,

Leo

maxpowers

Ok I am going to attempt to answer your knot questions:

hollow braid - braid that has a hollow center that can be opened up easily with wire, needle, or the mono itself
solid braid - typically the weave does not allow the braid to be opened up
wind-on - using hollow braid, a needle or wire, and mono or fluorocarbon, the mono is inserted into the hollow braid of the same or smaller diameter (for the chinese finger trap effect) to about 3 to 6 ft inside the hollow braid and secured at the insertion point by several different method.
      served connection - the insertion point is secured by using thread, dental floss, or light solid braid using a bobbin and putting pressure on the braid
      crimp connection - using crimp to hold secure the insertion point, the best one on the market is Sato's system
       nub system  - the mono is tied with a nub suing a nail knot prior to insertion into the braid.  The nub is usually about 6 to 10 inches from the insertion point.  A second mail knot is tied on top of the braid and mono so that the internal nail knot is butting against it.  Most people finished the insertion point with a final nail knot to clean it up.
loop connection - you can form a loop on the main line by using a bimini twist or if you have hollow braid, create a loop by inserting the hollow braid back into itself.
loop to loop - you loop your wind-on leader to the main line via a cat's paws or by going thru the loop several times.

All this is cursory only and you should look up the method that you like best.  I preferred the nub system the best as it is the cheapest and if you do it correctly, should not have any failure.

Shark Hunter

Just because you don't understand a slang term Leo, doesn't mean we are all smoking something or that we want to Duke it out. >:(
This is just a Blog of guys talking about our passion. I help as much as I can, but like I said in the same post. This is not a store or a one stop shop. You have to hang out here a while to figure out whats going on. You can't just stop in, learn everything you need to know in five minutes and then go on your way. I haven't been here that long, but I pretty much understand what everyone is trying to say to get their point across. I like it just the way it is! ;D
Life is Good!

saltydog

It is like a good steak, the more you chew the more you want. Now pull out a drink a steak and a comfortable chair and see what happens.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Don't worry it have to google a lot of stuff that "sue"/George/pecachaser and a few others say
Grayson Lanier

LTM

Maxpowers, thanx much for your help there; trully appreciated!  I've read Jerry Browns info on braided line and other post's here and else where as well. Not that your efforts were not appreciated however a copy/pasted link would have worked as well.

Daron and guys; Im by no means on a "rant". Im just joking making a point out of the use of slang/terminology used sometime. Especially when others less fluent/hip are around trying to gain information.  I recogonize this as a blog/forum where I try not to offend or take things literally. One thing I am learnig is how to substitute "smiley faces'/icon's" instead of punctuation.

Now back to the learning curve of things. If I were to speake to the forum about a topic (which I happen to know well and speak fluently) that we all deal with, with the gargon and highest dialect of the profession, most of you would not understand. I just happen to understand super computers, networks and electronics which we all use daily. I dont use any high dialect/slang for most wouldnt understand even though you do it all the time or on occasion. 

We were all new at one time as stated earlier, Im not trying to change a thing. Just understand.

Thanx,

Leo

Keta

Quote from: LTM on January 18, 2014, 05:31:47 AM
I've read Jerry Browns info on braided line

If you are ever in SW Oregon it's well worth the time to stop by Jerry's place and chat.

Here's another one L2L= loop to loop.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I totally understand Leo ;D No offense taken brother! ;) I just try and do my best to make other people understand things when we talk about them. I know our posts are going to be read a bunch of times, and I don't want to look back and say, Why did I say that? Its all good! ;D Now let me "wind you one" and lets "loop de loop!" :D
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Leo, you can't get in until you know the secret handshake.
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: BMITCH on January 18, 2014, 11:04:10 AM
Leo, you can't get in until you know the secret handshake.

Grip?  ;D ;) ;)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

gstours

I read the new guys questions and he has asked good questions. There is way too much info and terms to absorb to expect him to not be a little confused. It reminded me of going into the pits at a funny car, top fuel drag race,  wow, the mechanics and crew know what their doin, and the know the tricks and shortcuts, and they are all trying to go to the paywindow.....Theres plenty to learn, It will take time for him to sort it out,  Thanks for welcoming him.  lets not chase him away,  he might have got off the wrong exit????gst.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

So,
I have always thought that a wind on meant that the leader went into the spool? I've used thousands of L2Ls to terminal tackle that didn't make it to the guides. So is a wind on a leader of any length or does it have to go onto the spool?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

Quote from: noyb72 on January 21, 2014, 06:42:23 AM
So,
I have always thought that a wind on meant that the leader went into the spool? I've used thousands of L2Ls to terminal tackle that didn't make it to the guides. So is a wind on a leader of any length or does it have to go onto the spool?
Ron

A wind-on is just a longer L2L connection.  You are correct that it is designed to wind-on thru the guides.  Ideally the L2L connection is only slightly larger than the diameter of braided line.