Shimano Baitrunner 6500B bearings

Started by Solidwire, January 19, 2014, 04:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidwire

I just bought a used Shimano Baitrunner 6500B on Craigslist. Due to Alan's awesome write up i was able to take it apart.

Well it came apart without a problem, however the previous owner lent it to a friend who dropped it in the sand. Fortunately the reel looks maintained however there was a little bit of fine sand in the internals that reached all 3 bearings. The good part is it didn't look like the reel was used after the drop. So i have a couple questions about the bearings. I need 1 RD 8628 and 2 RD 8629 (shimano part numbers) are there any good reasonable priced replacement bearings that cross-reference to these?

Also the roller clutch assembly where the spool sits has a bit of rust on the rollers, really minor. My main concern is the bit of sand in it. Should i rinse it out? I'm just worried about ruining the housing with a solvent since i think the housing is some type of nylon.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Solidwire on January 19, 2014, 04:42:12 AM
I just bought a used Shimano Baitrunner 6500B on Craigslist. Due to Alan's awesome write up i was able to take it apart.

Well it came apart without a problem, however the previous owner lent it to a friend who dropped it in the sand. Fortunately the reel looks maintained however there was a little bit of fine sand in the internals that reached all 3 bearings. The good part is it didn't look like the reel was used after the drop. So i have a couple questions about the bearings. I need 1 RD 8628 and 2 RD 8629 (shimano part numbers) are there any good reasonable priced replacement bearings that cross-reference to these?

Also the roller clutch assembly where the spool sits has a bit of rust on the rollers, really minor. My main concern is the bit of sand in it. Should i rinse it out? I'm just worried about ruining the housing with a solvent since i think the housing is some type of nylon.

The key to smooth function of the roller clutch is for it to be entirely free of anything that will add friction so that the rollers can freely float to grab the shaft instantly. Tiny amounts of rust or sand will cause them to not freely move and you may start to experience slippage in the clutch if you don't clean it up.

Remove the clutch entirely then you can rinse with fresh water with no ill effects and blow dry with compressed air or some time in the sun.

A tiny amount of Corrosion-X can also be used on the rollers to remove the bit of rust you've found but use it sparingly. Add a few drops then spin the handle to work it around the rollers. It will not affect the function of the clutch but as it may trap other gunk in the clutch in time most of the reel pros I've talked to say to keep the clutch as completely dry as you can, generally.

If you need a tutorial on rebuilding the clutch ie rust becomes enough of a problem that you want to remove the innards to soak in cleaner do a web search for "Roller Clutch on Sedona" on 2coolfishing.com that has a beautiful tutorial on rebuilding Shimano clutches. Even if yours is not identical it will lay out the principles that should allow you to tackle yours. :D

best

Solidwire

Sweet, i just took a look at it and it seems straight forward. Gonna tackle it after work tomorrow.

philaroman

acetone & similar solvents will not harm the frame or clutch housing, but WILL dissolve the graphics, lettering, and decorative plastic inlays on the outside (not sure about the bottom drag knob or lever -- I always removed that stuff, before le douche)

are the "B" bearings single-shielded?  they may be fine -- just flush them out w/ solvent (acetone, for light duty; MEK for serious crud) & repack

my trick for Shimano roller bearings: NEVER WORK ON JUST ONE!!!  I just rinse off the salt & chuck 'em in a jar, until I have several to clean.  then, I gingerly open up the best one & leave it undisturbed for reference, while I work on the others...  never needed a schematic or tutorial -- just modest amounts of single-malt to combat the tedium

MFB

I soak rusty parts in white vinegar after a couple of days you can wipe it off with a soft rag, no sanding or wire brushing needed. These are a great reel I have one as well as a 4500B.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Solidwire

I soaked the bearings today in rubbing Alcohol. Got most of the junk out. Gonna hit it with brake cleaner and compressed air tomorrow in the garage. Worked in the kitchen while watching the game. Wifes already unhappy with the smell of the PB blaster. At least looks like i can reuse the bearings.

I opened the roller clutch (thanks Johndtuttle ) and it went easy. Just got to find a place in SJ to get some drag grease and order some new Drags. Thanks for the info guys and the tips for solvents.