Shimano Curado question

Started by charliep, January 20, 2014, 12:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliep

Good Evening,
My boss asked me to service some Shimano Curados for him and of course I said sure. My first time on Low profile Shimanos. I did a modular service on the reel, level wind, drive shaft, bearings etc. I installed Smooth drag washers and reassembled the reel. Everything looked good. When I tightened the 4 screws on the right side plate, handle side, the reel was in a bind. I disassembled the reel, compared the schematic and everything appears to be in the right place. If I back off the screws a little the reel runs better but not like it should. Where have I gone wrong??
Thanks for your assistance,
Charlie

Propster

Without seeing it of course it's difficult to say for sure, but one of my first guesses would be maybe the new drag washers make the stack too high and it's causing some binding.

Keta

Quote from: Propster on January 20, 2014, 01:11:50 AM
Without seeing it of course it's difficult to say for sure, but one of my first guesses would be maybe the new drag washers make the stack too high and it's causing some binding.

I've but Carbontex drag washers in dozens of Curados and have never had this problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

any chance that there are two drag washers under the main gear?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

charliep

Alan I took out 2 washers and put 2 back. I looked at the schematic again and was wondering if it matters which way the idle gear goes in? Also, it shows a washer and a spacers that goes on the end of the drive shaft under the e clip at the frame I think there was only the washer. I' ll re-check that.
Thanks,
Charlie

alantani

something is creating too much "height" along the drive shaft.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

It does matter which way round the idle gear goes. The concave side goes down, towards the bottom. The reel would not function correctly otherwise. As Keta mentions, I too have done scores of these with carbontex washers and never had a problem. It would appear from the info. you supply, that it is an issue with the re-assembly.

Good luck, and let us all know how it goes, both here and on on 2Cool  ;)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

charliep

I' m pretty sure this a result of human error on my part. You know how it is when you look at something for so long you can't see the obvious. I think the idle gear might be the problem. I will sure let everyone know when WE get this sorted out ;). Here and 2cool. Great folks in both places. Zim, I'm in the same neighborhood with a lot of folks on 2cool. Alan, as always, thanks for letting us "tap" your reel wisdom!
Charlie

Lunker Larry

don't want to insult but could you have put the keyed washer in upside down? Dimple faces up.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

charliep

Problem solved! Assembly error, washer in the wrong place. The fiber washer that goes along with the metal washer under the e-clip that holds the drive shaft to the frame mysteriously ended up under the idle gear, and as Alan said, created too much height on the drive shaft. The reel runs like new now. Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions and help!! Great forum and people here!
Charlie

bluefish69

I get confusion like that when my 6 yr old Grandson wants to help Pop Pop. I just take the reel apart & start again.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

charliep

I know what you mean. I have a soon to be 7 yr old and his little 4 yr old brother grandsons that think they need to help Paw Paw do everything. But this time it was all Paw Paw.