Second Custom Rod Build. Seeker 270-H 8'

Started by sundaytrucka, January 20, 2014, 02:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Got a great deal on an old school Seeker a while back, stripped the rod and rebuilt it. Added a new cork tape handle, and wrapped the rod in a green, black and purple color scheme; really like the way it came out, colors really pop in bright sun light,

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Ron Jones

Nice,
Love that blank, what reel are you going to clamp on it?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the comments guys. I am really getting into rod building, maybe more then reel tinkering. I see myself having a reel for every situation and 2-3 rods for every reel.

I plan on putting an MXL or MXJ (purple or green) on the rod for 25#, but I am trying to work out a deal for a Saltiga 30T, otherwise back to the avets.

Quote from: noyb72 on January 20, 2014, 03:11:56 AM
Nice,
Love that blank, what reel are you going to clamp on it?
Ron

Ron Jones

Funny,
I can see nothing but a totally built 501 or Albacore Special on that thing. I'm certain you'll love that rod with whatever reel you chose.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Newell Nut

I am having the identical rod built for a Newell 338.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: noyb72 on January 20, 2014, 10:59:35 PM
Funny,
I can see nothing but a totally built 501 or Albacore Special on that thing. I'm certain you'll love that rod with whatever reel you chose.
Ron

I was thinking about going a little old school with the TLD 15/30 but this reel proved a little more difficult to find, or a modified 3/0, but Avet is my #1 choice thus far. Saltiga deal did not work out.

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 21, 2014, 12:45:57 AM
I am having the identical rod built for a Newell 338.

That should be a perfect match. What are you going after with that setup?

Ron Jones

Funny how different people think differently. I can think of a TLD, or anything from Shimano being "old school", and to me a fully built Albacore special is at the technological peak.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

stevennc

Awesome job on the rod. Maintained some of the classic look with a little extra pop!

I had this rod for years before giving it to my brother. It may be one of my favorite chovie rods of all time. Now comes my extremely opinionated idea of what works best on this stick, and i've tried a few reels. My favorite reel on this rod is the squall 15 with a long top shot of 20. The reel casts a mile on this stick and is extremely light the spool is really light and you will get less bait fatigue. I used this setup for islands fishing for tail, as well as chovie fishing for bass in the kelp, and even throwing larger swimbaits. I think avets are shiny, and thats about all. My uncle got rid of all of his, and I got rid of all of mine years ago. I really wish every guy besides myself on the boat had them so I can put 10 yards on everyone else in a slow bite. the 15/30 tldstar  would be nice as well. Ive tried a saltist 30t with a  better clamp and a 16 on the rod as well but they are not as nice. If you are completely against a squal 15 a comparable far casting light reel would be maybe a 220 or 229.

LTM

My Calstar is one of my favorite rods, goes EVERY TIME!.

Leo