Okuma Coldwater

Started by tksev, January 20, 2014, 10:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tksev

Being new to this forum, first thing I'd like to say is hello from Long Island New York. Second thing I'd like to say is thank you for all for the great information everyone has provided. I came across this forum when I was researching the Okuma Makaira. Not sure which one im going to go with the Makaira or the Makaira SE... The real question I have is for Alan, and when he is going to open up the Okuma Coldwater and give us his review on it? I need a good level wind reel with counter that is cheap for my inexperienced friends that come on my boat. There is now way I am going to hand over my Talica's, Stella's and soon to be Makaira's too them. Im sure I am not the only one waiting for Alan to tear into one of these reels and either give his thumbs up or down.

BMITCH

Welcome tksev, I'm in NJ but you got a lot long islanders on here. Enjoy your stay.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Tksev:  Welcome.  If you own the Okuma Coldwater, take it apart yourself using a camera to record the steps and a schematic to identify the parts.  You have already made the first step by joining.  Work slow and taking photos as you go.  It will help you to be able to put the whole thing back together should you become undecided about where a part should go. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

tksev

Thank you for the welcoming guys ;D..... Dominick I don't own the Okuma Coldwater and I can't really find any hard information on the reel to justify buying it. One of my searches actually bought me to this site and Alan saying that he was going do a tutorial. That was way back in August http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5174.0
I would like an experts opinion on it, or someone who has fiddled with many different reels. I am in no form qualified to even make that assessment. Now if this was a single malt or wine it would be a bit of a different story.  I was just wondering if Alan or anyone else was ever going to break one down for us inexperienced to know what's wrong or maybe even absolutely right with it.

alantani

for local inshore fishing, i have been using the daiwa sealine 17 line counter.  had a few problems with it, but always found workarounds.  i was actually thinking of switching over to the coldwater.  haven't opened one up, but they looked great from the outside.  i may eventually switch over, but it will be a while. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tksev

I do agree that it does look great externally. Its the internals that Im really concerned about, and if they will take the abuse of my clumsy friends. Its amazing there isn't more information about this reel. I've tried youtube, searching google and forum's about this reel and believe me there isn't much. Unless someone comes up with some input about how good or bad this reel is. I guess I'll have to wait till the New England Saltwater Fishing Show in March and listen to the Okuma salesman tell me how great his whole line is :-\.

Lunker Larry

Just opened up a couple to grease the drags. They're CF. Pretty much the same as the convectors but the base plate for the drive shaft, etc is a plastic (?) material vice the very solid steel one in the convector. Maybe since the convector reels were a composite frame they used steel and with the cold water being a metal frame, they figure they can get away with the plastic.
Have seen a number of comments that the line counter does not register the same when you reel it in as it does going out.
Good looking reel though.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

tksev

So Larry would that constitute as a buy or look for another reel??? At the end Im just looking for the best level wind reel with counter dollar for dollar. I need a Timex of a reel. It should take a beating and keep on clicking

tksev

I should just pay the extra money and go with the Shimano Tekota over the Okuma Coldwater. From the reviews I see online, people say its the best level wind reel with counter out there. Any thoughts?

alantani

the tekota has it's own problems.  drags have to be replaced with carbontex and the reel will corrode badly without a light coat of grease all through the reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tksev

Great  :-\. What to do. What to do about this dilemma I have? Can't a man spend his hard earned money on a level wind reel with counter thats foolproof? Anyone have any thoughts on which route I should take?

Lunker Larry

Quote from: tksev on January 22, 2014, 12:40:12 AM
So Larry would that constitute as a buy or look for another reel??? At the end Im just looking for the best level wind reel with counter dollar for dollar. I need a Timex of a reel. It should take a beating and keep on clicking

Haven't seen one that has been used yet. The reels I serviced were brand new. Those that have used it like the reel but I don't know how it would stand up to salt water use or a big salt water fish. I've seen it being used on 40 lb+ trout, salmon and steelhead on the great lakes and it has been standing up to trolling of big 12" body baits for muskie at 5 to 7 mph.  The guts of this reel seem pretty robust, I was just surprised to see that plastic (I have no idea what type) base plate. Only a few being used in my club. I may have more at the end of the season.

Good luck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Justinskywest

I'm an avid fisherman, in addition to being a reel repair business owner. I have been using my low profile coldwater for several years on the coastal waters here in Oregon and I'm very impressed with the performance and durability. I obviously take the time to maintain my reels, but they don't come much more beefy for that price point. Mine is smooth as butter and the drag has withstood hundreds of salmon and 8ft sturgeon without a problem. I highly recommend the low profile colwater.

Now for the round version, I do not have any lovely words. I've destroyed 2 of those clunky bastards and I won't even bother getting into details about the nightmare of trying to rebuild them. They are currently sitting in my spare parts box due to the headaches they've given me. Just say no to the round version.