GTI Drag Question

Started by abudoc, January 21, 2014, 09:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abudoc

I thought I would post this to get a little feed back. I bought a 310 GTI a while back not sure why except it was on a clearance rack for 40 dollars. I needed a little more drag than the 11 lbs it had, and there was not room to add second tension spring. I bent a paper clip and checked the clearance between the top drag washer and the side plate. There was enough room to add the P8-60 tension spring there. I had to shorten the 9-310 spacing sleeve from 15.38mm to 14.78mm. In order to give the star drag room to back off the drag completely. It's maxed out at 15lbs now and that looks like all the threads on the gear sleeve will tolerate anyway.
So my question is do you think this reel will live with 15 lbs of drag or will it self destruct in short order.

alantani

not sure the gear teeth will hold up.  and that's assuming the top of the gear sleeve doesn't round off first.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

If it works out it would be great. But those gears aren't strong. What size line are you using?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

abudoc

65 lb suffix main line with a 40 lb leader. yeah I was worried about the gear sleeve too, more than the gears.

akfish

310 gears shred very easily; I see it frequently in my shop. And Penn has been backordered on 310 gears for a while now with no future in stock date. Given that the GTi/GT2 series is no longer made, I doubt any more will ever be made.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

abudoc

Thanks for the feed back. It's not going to work then. I think I'll just strip the line and put it on a shelf for now.  :'(