What did I do to my Penn 30W?

Started by NEKTON, May 13, 2010, 06:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEKTON

???

Hi Alan, Todd Mora here, 1st post. AKA sdfishkiller on Bloodydecks.

The reel handles you shipped me last month are great and will be getting a work out in Baja next week!

So my question......

Penn 30TW 2speed! Bought it used, guess it got the conversion, has the extra frame shim to widen it for second gear.

Well it worked great, but the strike detent was stuck in the down position (fixed that  ;D ) so I decided to rip it apart and I went and opened a can o worms.

I've rebuilt all my other lever drags including the dreaded Daiwa SLD and SLT's.  So I kinda know what I'm doing  ;) .

Well I went and ripped the cam apart and checked the drag and then put it back together...............

Well here is what I got now.  

scenario 1:

With the lever in freespool and the preset knob backed all the way off, the reel has about 2 pounds of drag.

Then when you push it to strike, it has nice freespool?  

scenario 2:

When I have the lever in freespool and preset knob backed all the way off and then I begin to turn the preset knob......

I feel the tension on the preset knob begin to increase with about 1 1/2 full turns and then the reel  begins to have freespool again?

What happened!!!!!?????

Thanks Alan.

alantani

it sounds like the spool is pushed up against the left side plate when the preset knob is backed off too far.  it's basically rubbing against the drag plate because it's shifted too far to the left.  turn the prest knob down and you suddenly "center" the spool.  from here on out it will work the way it's supposed to.  is that the case? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NEKTON

Yep, thats correct.  About 1 1/2 full turns of preset knob and I get the freespool back.  It didn't do this before I ripped it apart though. 

Cam looks like I put it back together right.

Is this normal?

Wondering if the spool assembly is messed up.

With the drag cover screwed on, I can't get the spool to spin w/o apply a little pressure to the spool shaft.

Normal?

I'll check the drag range before I get handle binding.

Thanks Alan.

alantani

the spacing changed some how because you rearranged something when you put it together.  or it was there all the time and you simply didn't notice.  i'm thinking the latter might be the case.  it's something i could easily imagine.  you pop open a reel without running it through it's paces first.  why, bother?  you're going to go through it anyway.  and then something like this happens.  personally, i'd say just set it and make sure it works the way you want.  if it performs, you should be fine.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!