Diawa 600s Hex Drag Results

Started by gstours, January 22, 2014, 05:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello; a couple of weeks ago I posted the Hex gear milling of the Diawa 600s. The gear was polished inside a little, four 1.4mm cf hex washers were cut, and 4 .040'' steel keyed washers fitted, the dragsandwich was  installed in another double dog frame that I showed a how to of.    then it snowed, so the reel sat for a while. next I tied the line to a bench and simulated a drag burn in, by cranking down and walking across yard, then again with more pressure, reeling back each time untill max drag was acheived,  this was to seat the washers, then I installed it on my heavy duty rod (max drag reel holder. and the star was cranked back down fairly hard to simulate max drag available.  As you can see its holding a lot of lead,   see picture.

In conlusion it liked 48# as more was added it sloooly started slipping.  The star could have been cranked down more but its not competition,  its a "what if test".  This was the result that I was looking for.  The brass gear will make a good hex drag.  The Dragwashers were way faster and took fewer tool to make than the eared washered drag gears.  I would  offer to mill a few gears for a limited time if people want to improve their drags in this manner, just contact me , in messages,  I would use Brian Youngs 600 keyed washers as they are available now, after I made mine.  If you want a double dog I can mill your sideplate too fairly inexpencively,
  These are good reals for the money, I think Brians thin steel washer set with smoothdrag washers are another good way to go now that they are available,  its the easiest way to go, but havent heard what the max drag is on that setup.    gst.

MFB

Now that is a reel with balls :)

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

You never cease to impress, GS! ;D
Top Notch Stuff there Buddy!
Life is Good!

jonathan.han

How much drag can be applied to the spoolshaft and gears? The drag numbers are impressive though
raw instinct

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

floating doc

Nice to see the Sealines get some attention.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I will have a gear for your Hex treatment shortly GS.  ;)
Life is Good!