another 4/0 Drag Test

Started by gstours, January 22, 2014, 06:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is another twist of the 113h eared drag washers. As I found a 3.3 penn sst gear I milled the 8 ears in the sidewalls as others have done. next I received some .020 sst keyed washers from Brian Young,  they are really nice by the way!  after cutting the 1.4mm washers and fitting those I was able to use 5 cf washers and 4 thin steel washers and a fatty on top.  as shown.
after assembly in the test reel the drag was burnt in by walking across yard, cranking down and reeling in and repeating until max drag was achieved,  the reel was placed on my heavy duty rod, and the max drag was found to be #32 which is quite smooth at the heavy setting.  I think this will fish fine at 20-25#drag, thats what my body likes, no more cept on the rail.

Ron Jones

One fantastic reel that can fish 80 pound braid. I like it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Wow GS! You don't need to buy any hot rod parts. You are making your own! Very Nice!  ;)
I take it you have your own milling machine.
Life is Good!

Cone

gstours, I've seen your post on the Daiwa gear you milled. Now you've done a 113h. I have considered doing it to some of my Penn Steel gears. I'll have to get off my duff and try it myself soon. You've set the bar high!  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

If that wasn't enough Bob, He has offered his milling expertise to those who want the 600H gear + the double dogging mod to the plate. I am in too deep with my Senators to persue this or I would! ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Gs, very nice work! Hey, what are you doin with a 113H ??? ;D
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

gstours

Hello B.Mitch;   its winter her and I like to play with the tools/toyz......the 113 is a great reel and I had never milled a sst gear for it....sooooo thats part of it.   and Brian Youngs thinnnn sst washers are waay cool.  especially if they drop in.....(get it)  so that got me thinking the rest is in the lead hangin......thanks for the question......I like all reels , some girls I dont like.    How about those SEAHAUKS???????lets play ball.....gst.

BMITCH

Gs. Check your PM's. As far as the Seahawks....I dunno Manning and the broncos are gonna be hard to beat. They NEED to get pressure on him. I'm indifferent to who wins, no NY team :( I'm in it for the commercials ;D

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: gstours on January 23, 2014, 04:59:16 AM
Hello B.Mitch;   its winter her and I like to play with the tools/toyz......the 113 is a great reel and I had never milled a sst gear for it....sooooo thats part of it.   and Brian Youngs thinnnn sst washers are waay cool.  especially if they drop in.....(get it)  so that got me thinking the rest is in the lead hangin......thanks for the question......I like all reels , some girls I dont like.    How about those SEAHAUKS???????lets play ball.....gst.
I hope the land chickens get beat up one wall and down the other
Grayson Lanier

pompano joe

Pompano Joe

Dominick

G.S.Tours:  Get ready for a small world story.  I clicked on the photo of your drag experiment and found myself in photobucket.  You had some pretty nice fish pictures and when I reached the photos of the giant halibut low and behold there was my wife's niece holding the tail of one of the butts.  She is the one on the left in this photo.  http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/gst6814/media/009_zps6dd95d50.jpg.html Where are you located and have you posted a plug for your tours?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

I like Big butts and I cannot lie! :D
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Dominick, this means you guys are like what...related ;D gs just might show up at Christmas. I saw the prime rib you cooked up ;) ;D