Bearing packer

Started by slip tip, May 13, 2010, 08:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slip tip

Hi, Allan!
Just wanted you to know the bearing packers that I recently purchased from you work great!.... :) You did an excellent engineering job on the sizes within the brass cones. I lubed 4 bearings, all were a different size, and the packer worked just like it was supposed to...... 8) Well done!
Best,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

alantani

thanks!   they're messy as hell, but very quick.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

slip tip

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2010, 07:53:42 PM

True, they can be messy, and it is very quick, however, on the plus side of things they are very thorough. When you're finished lubricating the bearing there is no doubt the grease has fully penetrated to the opposite side...... :)  After the seals are re-installed it's a nice feeling to know the job was done right, with the right tool. Good show!

Best,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Dave Bentley

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2010, 07:53:42 PM

Aha, found the answer to my question before I had to ask it.

I was starting to think I was a thick head because I couldn't figure out how to use it with out a mess, now I know it comes with the job.

However, I must confess that I am wondering that because of the small amount of use it is going to get (unless I start doing other peoples reels) whether the mess is worth it.

Hand packing 6-8 reels a year is not really that hard, especially those with removable shields on the bearings.

Incidentally I stand corrected if it is pointed out that I am a thick head and using it the wrong way.

Dave
Only believe that which you know to be true.

wallacewt

did you get your grease gun on sat; dave

Dave Bentley

Quote from: wallacewt on July 05, 2012, 01:08:12 AM
did you get your grease gun on sat; dave
Na mate, got caught doing husband stuff as opposed to doing reel stuff.

Probably not this weekend either but I will be having some time off soon, will shop for it then.

LTM

Hey Dave,

Originally I was "on-the-fence" wondering if it was worth it. After I got them my fingers were happy (no more cramps packing bb), especially when I used the packers to pack the small bb's in my small baitcasters.  I would have never been confident that I did a complete job with these small bb's. 

I use a small grease gun (as Bryan has mentioned) with about a 3 inch extension tube fitted to the bb packers and works great for me.  I store the packers in plastic medicine bottles.

It was a little messy using at first, however I (like others here) have a method to minimize the excess.  For screw holes I use a small "paint brush" (like for model cars etc).  I use this same brush to remove the residual/excess gress off and transfer to my grease container (wiping off on edge of container).  This does it for me; "NO" mess and easy storage.

Leo

Dave Bentley

Thanks Leo,
My own jury is still out re the bearing packer.
I have a couple of syringues, medium and small, one filled with Cals for drag washers and the larger one filled with blue grease for gears, screw holes etc.
Smallish short strong bristle artists brush are used for painting all internal (now including graphite after Bryan's comments) surfaces with blue grease as well.
Also use the same styled brush for cleaning bits in Shellite but I need to find a better cleaning compound, good for grease but bad for putting me and the work shop into orbit.
Dave Bentley