squidder stainless gear sleeve with tight threads

Started by jigmaster501, January 23, 2014, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

I purchased a squidder gear sleeve from pennparts and the star wheel is impossible to thread on. The threads look clean and the star goes on other sleeves but the one I have it seems that it is too tight.

Should I try another star wheel or is there something else wrong?

Thanks everyone.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Try a different star, sounds like a fine threaded sleeve
Grayson Lanier

alantani

the 140 gear sleeves should all be fine. hoyt had a problem with the 505's.  i think i screwed up and have to get back to him. i talked the owner of the machine shop that made them about an hour ago.   we are going to try to sort this out.  tell me the number on your star. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Uh Oh!
I hope I don't run into this problem on My Surfmaster 200. :o
Life is Good!

alantani

in the past, i've just had to chase the threads and it always worked.  that's what i recommended with hoyt, but his fine thread 505 gear sleeve was the first one of a new batch.  the gear sleeves out now are old inventory, so there should not be a problem.  of course, that's what i said last time......   :-[

Shark Hunter

Well, I'll do some chasin' this weekend and let you know how it works out. ;D
I plan to only work on two different reels, a 14/0 and a Surfmaster 200.
David and Goliath! ;D
Life is Good!

jigmaster501

Alan,

I have the 10-140 star.

The regular star for the squidders with the indentation to go over the housing.

I tried the 140 star on a jigmaster sleeve and it went on fine. It also went on fine with the original sleeve.

I guess I will try another star this weekend when I see my friend who has a bunch.

I will let you know.

jigmaster501

Alan,

I tried another star and it didn't work either.

I took everthing apart and put the star on the sleeve with a bit of force.

I carved out the thread in the star a bit deeper with the stainless sleeve and removed all the brass shaving and put it all back together.

It works fine now.

I don't know if it was the threading on the sleeves cut to an extremely tight tolerance but I was able to do it.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Stainless steel will always be a nice tap for brass. Glad you got it sorted out.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

otghoyt

Yeah...I called Alan on that deal and he started saying "get a crescent wrench" and I was going no, man that ain't right........ He even sent me some other drag stars and same thing with those.  Sooo....out comes the crescent wrench and it only seemed to be the first couple of threads.  Those threads cleared up before the gear sleeve popped through the other side of the star. 

I figure those last 2 turns of thread got some galling...no biggie but it was a little confusing at the time and Alan stood by his product to my complete satisfaction.  ;D

Shark Hunter

I also heard of the problem with the clamp Hoyt. I emailed Tiburon and they sent me one free when I told them I bought it from Alan Tani Himself! It was on a surfmaster 200. Fits perfect now! ;D
Life is Good!

Caranx

The 10-66 star is for the coarse threaded sleeve on the 500 and the 10-505 is for the fine threaded sleeve on the 505's. That star is a little larger than the 10-66.
Is that correct?

otghoyt

Didn't have a 10-66 to try, so couldn't tell you.  But like I said it was only the top 2 threads that seem to be effected.  After you crammed a 10-505 past the galled threads any 505 would fit after that.  Even one of those aluminum e-bay goodies.  Leastwise that's how it worked for me.

alantani

yeah, better post the explanation here as well. 

so, the threads are cut somehow, don't know how, but they are all the same.  apparently, the notch on top is cut last.  i am told that the "bit" used to cut that notch was dull, so what it did was to fold down that first thread rather than cut cleanly through.  that's why the first thread was jacked up.  a little aggravating to say the least.    now, i knew that the threads were a little tight on the last run, but running the star all the way down and then back up took care of that problem.  i was thinking that monkeying around in the same manner would take care of the problem.  clearly it was different.  anyway, the batch is fixed and i will send you a new one.  sorry for the hassle.   :-\