WHERE DO YOU GAFF FISH?

Started by Dominick, January 23, 2014, 10:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Wayne posted a picture of our friend Jerry with a Dorado on another thread.  Here it is below.  Notice the gaff mark on the fish.  I have gaffed many fish and I was taught to gaff the fish in the head so that one does not ruin the meat.  You know on that fish there will be a blood stain on both filets that will need to be trimmed and discarded.  It is not easy to gaff the head and takes some practice.  Indeed sometimes the gaff will slip on the armored part of the gills, but if the gaff is sharp it will pierce the gill plate.  I have argued with my crews down in Mexico that I do not want them to gaff the fish where it ruins meat but it is like talking to the door.  They will not listen.  There I ranted.  Now you know why the wineries are rich.  :D Hand me that bottle of Zin.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Head only.  Tell the pangalero their tip depends on where the gaff strikes.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AndrewC

Usually through the bottom jaw or through the gills
The worlds a better place when its upside down

alantani

in one eyeball, out the other.  no small feat with a halibut!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

It seems a shame to waste tasty Dorado but the last guy (who shall remain nameless :)) that tried to gaff my fish in the head swung and missed and broke me off  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.

At this point anything that gets them in the boat is fine with me.

best :)

bluefish69

All you guys are better then me because 50 yrs. ago I was taught to Gaff the fish in the water.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

Dorsal surface of the head, or jaw, or better yet through the brain, piercing the brain/spinal column connection is best.  Avoid the gill plates, viceral cavity, or tail area.  The meaty part of the shoulders will hold the gaff well, but it damages the meat, and you lose some control of the fish.  A tournament winning or world record marlin, that is to be killed should be gaffes in this shoulder region with a flying gaff, since it will likely stay put.  Gaff technique is often just as important as placement too.  The gaff is a precision instrment not a baseball bat.  A sharp gaff should require very little pressure to set (except on large sharks), and should be lifted into place, always behind the hook/line.  Chopping down at, swinging, or batting should be avoided.  Don't touch the hook or line.  Staying calm and focused works best.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Only fish similar to what y'all catch that I gaff is a king Mack, on a boat I'm goin for a head shot, or in the gill plate. On a pier a good body shot with two prongs in atleast. On a ray or shark off the pier I go for the head or body on a shark, and head or thick part of the wing on a ray
Grayson Lanier

BMITCH

I hoping I'm needing two maybe three gaffs. In that case..ANYWHERE!!
luck is the residue of design.

Mudguts

If I'm keeping the fish, through the brain or jaw

Ron Jones

Ive lost to many fish watching people try to be Michal Jordan with a gaff. Especially since I cook everything, I get the fish on board.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

My captain was almost as anal as I am about proper gaffing and if I misgaffed a fish he would always say something from above.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MFB

So long I as don't I get the leader it's all good...

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dominick

Bluefish... ;D ;D  You got it right in a comical way.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 24, 2014, 01:38:50 AM
A sharp gaff should require very little pressure to set (except on large sharks), and should be lifted into place, always behind the hook/line.  Chopping down at, swinging, or batting should be avoided.  Don't touch the hook or line.  Staying calm and focused works best.

Tightlines got it right.  You put the gaff in the water and lift to allow the point to pierce.  It takes a practiced movement to get it right.  However, once you see it done correctly you will understand it. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Dominick

I had faith in you that you would get it.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.