172 lb Cobia

Started by Shark Hunter, January 25, 2014, 03:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Check out this 172 lb Cobia caught by a spear fisherman in Brazil Today. Its a new record!
Life is Good!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Sweet Jesus! That head would be a killer bait! For the everol 14/0
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

That's what I was thinking! Break out the #22 toothproof wire and the demon for that one!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Holy C! 
It's funny how the truly monster fish just look different...I mean they look like twice as large as what you're minds eye envisioned a record fish would look like.  I remember almost dropping the gaff in the water when we pulled in a pair of 150lb + wahoo once...my brain just couldn't comprehend what my eyes were seeing, I mean it didn't seem possible.  Grander marlin and 1200lb+ sharks still have this affect on me.  Though an 850lb Mako or big Tiger seems normal (guess I've already seen alot of these).  I wonder how old that Cobia was?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

I'm SURE they look just fine if YOU happen to be holding them up.

Chris Gatorfan

That was the Cobia that got snatched out of the back of my truck that I caught on my classic Zebco 33.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

AndrewC

That would be like hanging onto a Cessna with a string.......Great effort
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Dominick

I want to go on record that I am not happy at the fish being speared.  If it was caught on a fishing pole it should be released.  A diver can see the fish.  Why take such big fish?  It takes a lot of years for a fish to get that big.  I guess my point is that a diver can look at the fish see that it is big and has lived a lot of years so why spear it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I don't know Dominick. I just saw it on yahoo and posted it up. I went back to get some more pictures of it and it was gone. I know they said it beat the world record for spearing a Cobia by 30 or 40 pounds.
I guess that's why he did it. I'm like you , Catch and Release. Free the Fighter! Lets Have some Zin! Really! ;)
Life is Good!

raumati01

I'm with Dominick on this one, underwater footage of that behemoth swimming around would be far cooler than a kill shot.

Newell Nut

I also agree that the fish should not have been shot. I had no idea a cobia could get that big. A Fukushima fish of course. ;D

BMITCH

Best yet would have been a catch and release. Very difficult to get scale with a photo in a natural enviro.

broschro

Quote from: Dominick on January 25, 2014, 06:12:08 AM
I want to go on record that I am not happy at the fish being speared.  If it was caught on a fishing pole it should be released.  A diver can see the fish.  Why take such big fish?  It takes a lot of years for a fish to get that big.  I guess my point is that a diver can look at the fish see that it is big and has lived a lot of years so why spear it.  Dominick
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dominick

Daron, Daron what is that stuff you are drinking?  You don't think you are drinking Zin are you?  Aaaagh. Troglodyte.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.