Gear sleeve thread size

Started by Topshot, January 26, 2014, 03:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Does anybody know what the thread size the gear sleeve for a 114h and a 115 is? I working on some custom drag stars
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Keta

Quote from: Topshot on January 26, 2014, 03:46:25 PM
Does anybody know what the thread size the gear sleeve for a 114h and a 115 is? I working on some custom drag stars

I don't remember the dimensions but they are an odd ball buttress thread.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

Have you made drag stars before??
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Keta

Quote from: Topshot on January 26, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
Have you made drag stars before??

I was unable to find the right taps.  I have drawings but haven't cut any.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

Ahh I see. I found these on ebay but they only make them for 113h I wanted to put on my my 6/0 and 9/0
http://m.ebay.com/itm/360651744451?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Michael Baughman

Cone

I would stay away from aluminum stars. They will strip and fail. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

I'm glad you couldn't find any ;D.
They will strip on the 4/0 as well and probably on the jigmaster.... if you add more drag numbers.
Mine stripped, but they weren't the same exact ones. I do not like aluminum stars, no matter how nice they look.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Topshot

We'll that just saved me $18 lol. Thanks for the warning guys. I guess good old penn stars it is
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

I would like mine out of Titanium. ;D
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 26, 2014, 06:51:52 PM
I would like mine out of Titanium. ;D

I would like Stainless Steel to match the handles.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I will try to locate the taps in the future, I want larger OD SS stars for my reels.

Mark Twain

harryk3616

the fine thread on the jigmaster is     .406 x 36  buttress thread, if any help, got that info from penn awhile ago.

alantani

poor hoyt got the very first piece from a new order of fine thread jigmaster gear sleeves.  they were cut too large.  the guy that owns the machine shop had one of his temporary (now ex-) employees doing the work.  they cannot be re-threaded, so they will either have to be discarded or new stars will have to be cut.  he is checking on the cost of new stars. if it is cost effective to make new stars (as opposed to just throwing the bad gear sleeves away) then you may see a new run of stainless steel stars out very soon. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on January 26, 2014, 09:46:24 PM
I will try to locate the taps in the future, I want larger OD SS stars for my reels.

;D ;D  ;D. Me too!
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2014, 03:27:41 AM
poor hoyt got the very first piece from a new order of fine thread jigmaster gear sleeves.  they were cut too large.  the guy that owns the machine shop had one of his temporary (now ex-) employees doing the work.  they cannot be re-threaded, so they will either have to be discarded or new stars will have to be cut.  he is checking on the cost of new stars. if it is cost effective to make new stars (as opposed to just throwing the bad gear sleeves away) then you may see a new run of stainless steel stars out very soon. 

Do you envisage any "thread galling" issues when using stainless steel screwed parts together?
Will a molybdenum or graphite based lubricant be required?