IAR oil or grease???!?!?!?

Started by Bigmike1984, January 27, 2014, 07:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmike1984

Ok guys I have read a few different things on this.

So do y'all use oil or grease?

If grease how do you pack it?

If oil what do you like to use?

Thanks for your time and info.

Tightlines667

I pack all bearings w/Penn or some other grease if the reel is used for trolling exclusively.  I always remove shields on spool bearings, and will oil spool bearings w/TSI301 or Speed X (for max free spool and w/intent to service frequently) if the customer wants good free spool for casting, live baiting, or jigging.  Corrosion X also works well.  Grease will provide the best long-term protection though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Disregard above statement it was late and I misunderstood the question.

Do not use TSI products on anything with plastic parts, and it is my understanding that greasing IAR or antireverse clutch bearings is not recommended.  There is another tutorial which addresses a recommended method for servicing these.   Sorry for any confusion that resulted.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Drisse

I guess this is what you're looking for ?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7593.0

*Edit* Forgott the link.....

Bigmike1984

Is there any benefit greas over oil?

Keta

AR bearings should be lightly oiled.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

What Mr. Keta said. I believe Abu is now addressing the slip issue (after about 15 years) by adding the mechanical dog to the brake plate, along with the IAR, for reels other than the JB (jerk-bait) version.  

For the past while, once I learned that the post for the dog is available in the global sector outside the USA, I just add it myself. I bought the posts only, as dogs are over here easy enough. Brake plates all come with the hole for the post, so install is uncomplicated.

The other way to go is to add an IAR to reels (where they will fit) when the dog is the anti-reverse. That's about 10-12.00 plus install to do. The IAR brg, and its sleeve.  I got my posts from Sweden at lundren's.
lundgrensfiske.com

Ken D.,  do you know if that dawg post will also fit into the brake plate of newer with iar versions of the 1500/2500C ? 

Ken_D

Quote from: 0119 on January 27, 2014, 06:41:06 PM
Ken D.,  do you know if that dawg post will also fit into the brake plate of newer with iar versions of the 1500/2500C ?  

Regrets, I do not. The newer 15's and 25's were never sold here, and I have only 5 older 2500C's, with dogs.  I've never even seen a new one up close, just pics.  :(
If you can locate an older one, you can compare the new brake plate to the old, and see if there's a hole on it,
where the dog post could go. Or you could easily drill a hole where the post should go. I'll send Mike's an emil for tomorrow (they take sun mon off) and see if he has a new/old in the shop to look at.

Bigmike1984

Ken-D.

Do you know where I can order one of the dogs and post?

Thanks.

Ken_D

Quote from: Bigmike1984 on January 27, 2014, 07:06:28 PM
Ken-D.

Do you know where I can order one of the dogs and post?

Thanks.

Yuppers.... http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/group.asp?group=1377    5th line item down. Main Page:

http://www.lundgrensfiske.com/  click webshop.  Swedish taxes are on the high side, so I'd get the dogs over here, and the posts over there. ~If~ they still permit the solo posts, no dogs. Last buy I did was 10 posts for 20 CAD/17.75 USD. including stamps. That was not quite 2 years back, mid 2012, so the price could have increased by now.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

keta you got me all bamboozled
how do you know all this stuff  ;)

Keta

Mark Twain

wallacewt

I should have known it was ken
but that doesn't explain how you can walk up the steps backwards

Keta

Before Ken made the post in the link above I would use older C3 plates and do the same thing but used plates were hard to find and new ones $$.

Mark Twain