Penn 309 for shark fishing

Started by LucasGeneau, January 27, 2014, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucasGeneau

Hi alan, i ve recently bought a penn 309 for shark fishing from shore. I tooked the level wind sistem out because i cast with it. I spooled it with 350yrs of 60pound test braid and 50yrs of 60 test mono topshot. Will it work for large sharks?. Am i going to get spooled?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

LucasGeneau

Ok thank you a lot what rod you recomendó?

Ron Jones

To quote a famous movie "Your gonna need a bigger boat."
Their are several large shark fishermen here that will tell you more, but as good of a reel as a 309 is, it is not up to the challenge of a "large" shark. I've caught 50-75 pound Makos on reels the size of your 309. Maybe your idea of large and others on here are different.

Love that reel, by the way.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

The working drag range of a 309 is 10lbs. Any more than that and you will probably damage the reel.
I say 114H at the minimum. I consider large, anything over 100lbs. That's big enough to put a hurtin' on you.
Life is Good!

LucasGeneau

Yeah you are right i have a 4/0 size reel. What line you recomend me for spooling hit?
The reel of the photo is a mixture between a long beach and a senator.

Shark Hunter

50 or 60lb should be good on that reel. back it with braid if you want capacity. I personally prefer the biggest of senators. Call it Overkill, but that's how I do it. ;) The smaller reel is a 6/0. The 14/0 on the stand spooled with 130lb mono for abrasion resistance.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Both reels should be fine for most sharks up to the 6 foot range. If you're serious about sharking, I'd advise a 6/0 or 9/0 senator. If you're serious about hunting for monsters, then you will need a 130 class reel. What do you consider "large"?

saltydog

10 + footers in the 500 to 1000# range and a 309 is a little small. You can still catch sharks but of the smaller sort.

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

LucasGeneau

wow that are reels man! Where i get one of those jaja

Tightlines667

Quote from: LucasGeneau on January 28, 2014, 12:41:33 AM
wow that are reels man! Where i get one of those jaja

I can hook you up.  Still have 2 refurbished 14/0s available...PM me if your interested. 

Pics are here...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9505.15
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

LucasGeneau

Shark Hunter

This guy knows what he's talking about Lucas! That's where the one in the picture came from. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

My prices are based on my costs (purchase, parts, supplies, and the aprox 5hrs time) I put into each reel.  The 14/0s typically go for $380-$400 each.  You can find old beat up reels in need of parts for $240-$320 range (occasionally avail on FeeBay).  I'm asking $400 including new 130lb OPI mono, and shipping to US for the second reel I've got posted.  I can drop the price a bit if you don't want line.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

LucasGeneau

diu have a smaller reel for sale because 14/0 are overkilling for the fish here maybe a 6/0 or a9/0 or a daiwa